Should we eat him?

• 4 Replies

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
Should we eat him?
« on: January 13, 2009, 20:36 »
Our cockerel, Blanchard, is about 8 months old and has recently turned into a real pain in the butt.  He has started getting aggressive with my husband and I if we so much as pop into the run to give them fresh food and water.  He has pecked me several times and my husband as well, and also our kitten.  More frustrating than this what started out as protective behavior toward our three hens (two Andalusians and a Dorking) has turned quite nasty.  He is starting to bully them and will not let them out of the coop or let them at the food.  Is it time to despatch this cocky fellow, or is there hope?  

And as an addendum, would he be any good to eat?
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

Swing Swang

Should we eat him?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 22:09 »
As kids we used to eat ex-layers. Mum used to pressure cook them, then roast them; so I'm sure that an 8month old bird could be made to be edible.

SS

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Should we eat him?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 22:16 »
Be fine as long as you cook for long enough, alcohol (eg red wine :lol: ) also helps tenderise the meat thats why its coq au vin and not poulet (Chicken) au vin :lol:

pushrod

Should we eat him?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 22:25 »
I am sure he could make a very good curry and if he doesn't - eat him  :oops: .

Actually i'm in a slightly similar position as i have a friendly cockerel, but he is so big and slow he doesn't do what he is supposed to  and if it wasn't for him i could put another younger cockerel in there... so when i get some time i think he will be for the pot  :(
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
Should we eat him?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 22:34 »
Well, my husband went out to see to Blanchard and I am inside waiting around to cook him up.  He is certainly not doing the hens any good, and our neighbors will probably appreciate the lie-in.  I figured a nice long, slow roast at a low temperature would probably soften him up, but I bet coq au vin's delicious.  I've never had it before.

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.