one thing I hate about keeping chickens

• 9 Replies

Mrs Bee

one thing I hate about keeping chickens
« on: May 22, 2012, 17:41 »
I really love having chickens  except when it comes to introducing new girls to the old girls.

I hate the pecking order business :(

Lost a couple of chickens recently as some are getting a little elderly. So picked up three pretty new girls. Glorious patterns on the feathers.

Thought we were going to get away without any pecking :)

But no one of the older girls who was at the bottom of the pecking order last time is really going for them in a vicious way. Had to step in and pull her off. Two of the poor little new girls were cowering in a corner, heads down, tails down, eyes shut and shivering.

Tilly had drawn blood from them, so I put themon top of the cube with food and water and the bullied girls came up to me with their heads nudging my hand to stroke them and looking so sorry for themselves. >:(

I hate this part of hen keeping.
Have no idea how anyone could go to the cock fights of old

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: one thing I hate about keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 23:02 »
Hi there
I introduced 3 new hens on Saturday and it is also the lowest order hen that is doing the worst of the bullying. The new chooks are 3 or 4 weeks away from laying and are very timid at the moment. They are big birds and I don't imagine my araucana will still be able to bully them in a few weeks time ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 17:32 »
I know they will all sort themselves out eventually, but it is nasty to see such ferocious attacks.

It is a bit like the first playground duties of the new school year when the new year threes go into the playground for the first time.

Been retired 3 years and I am still doing playground duty with a bunch of chickens :blush:

You forget how much smaller the young chickens are than the older girls.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 19:00 »
Day 4 of introducing the new hens and what a difference. They are now nearly part of the one group apart from the odd skirmish. I hope this gives you a bit of hope

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37 »
Thanks. Geo.

Things are getting a bit better. I have segregated the new ones for a while and will bite the bullet and leave them  together  during the day soon. Things are calming down.

The white leghorn is too fast for the others to get to peck her but the goldline and the black rocks are a still a bit timid.

It's daft feeling sorry for them really 'cos I know they will be the worst peckers when I have to get new ones next time. :wacko: :wacko:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40 »
I wonder if treating them like rabbits might help?

What I mean is that you don't put rabbits together like that, you have to get them used to seeing each other first and once they lie down near to each other in their separate runs (if you can see what I mean) they are ready to be put together.

If the new girls could be seen by the old girls for a few days before bringing them together, it might not be such a traumatic thing for them.  Admittedly this is only possible if you have the space and a second coop, and you'd have to get them used to a new coop once they were all brought together but it could help with how vicious the bullying seems to be.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:53 »
That is sort of what we are doing Snoozie. During the day they are in the main run but fenced off with netting so they can all see each other but not get at each other.

At night we put the new girls in to the cube first and leave the old girls on lock out until it is quite dark and they are getting a bit desperate to get to bed. Then when they go in they settle to sleep quickly and don't go for the new girls.

It will soon sort itself out I hope :)

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 21:52 »
How are they now with the bullying. Settled down any??

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 23:08 »
The new girls are quicker at getting away from the little peckers. So we are making some progress :)

They escape up to the shelter roof and wait for me to tickle their heads before putting them into their little fenced off area.

The pecking is not as vicious as it was. It is coming down to a couple of pecks rather than the all out attack.

My son informs me that the last lot took about 4 weeks to integrate.

They are such pretty girls. The colouring on the black rock is rather like a Welsummer. We will get there ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 18:54 »
Oh Gawd. Regroup and make new plans I think.

Went to let the girls out this morning to a right din. New girls out the door pretty sharpish and poor little Toosie's head was covered in blood. Other 2 unscathed.

Two really nasty wounds in her head and covered with blood :( :(

Will find alternative sleeping quarters for them tonight.

Not had hen pecking this bad before :ohmy:

xx
Cost of keeping chickens.

Started by Plottered on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 08:55
by Skywise
xx
interested in keeping chickens

Started by dankay123 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 14:59
by steelman
xx
The dangers of keeping chickens! A MUST WATCH!

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 15:42
by tosca100
xx
government advice on keeping chickens part 2

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 17:50
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.