Upside-down courgettes

• 9 Replies

erikaz1

Upside-down courgettes
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:02 »
About 10 days ago I planted a load of courgette, pumpkin and squash seeds. The only ones that have made any kind of appearance are the courgettes but they've all come through upside-down. Do I need to carefully pick them out and turn them over or will they sort themselves out?
20190617_105047.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Upside-down courgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21 »
That's seriously weird (do you live near a nuclear power station by any chance?)   :lol:

Can only suspect you sowed them 'pointy end up' and possibly too shallow so the roots have shot straight upwards and not been able to turn back downwards.

The roots will dry out and die, so you need to get them out ASAP and re-pot the right way up.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:39 »
I've seen it happen with bean seeds. I assumed it was a compost problem as a fresh bag restored normality.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 13:43 »
If I see any seeds doing that, I just cover with some more compost, then they mostly themselves out.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 16:34 »
I've seen it happen with bean seeds. I assumed it was a compost problem as a fresh bag restored normality.

Same here. Out of 48 runners sown this year, 1 of them came up the wrong way. I left it alone, and just today noticed that, after about 3 weeks, it has done a complete loop and come up again. Of course, it's about 3 weeks behind all the others now!

I would try to (carefully) right a few of them if it was me. Having transplanted a few newly germinated courgette plants in the last couple of weeks, I've found them to be very resilient, and not so much as complaint from them.

If this is the OP's first time growing courgettes, I'd also suggest, you only need one or two plants at most, unless you are planning on opening up a fruit n veg stall specializing in courgettes  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 16:38 by ConfusedGardener »

al78

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 16:55 »
Are they an Australian variety?  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 18:40 »
It may be because the compost was fairly compact so they took the easy option - headed for space ;)

I have had them do similar things but normally just keep them watered and let them sort themselves out. But you do risk the roots drying (as someone said) so a light sprinkle of a cm of compost should help but no more.

Don't over water them just keep them moist.  Happy growing - lets hope the fruit don't get confused too or you could have a new variety on your hands.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

erikaz1

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 14:14 »
Thank you all. I've had another look today and a few more have appeared but the right way up. I had briefly considered the possibility of them being aussie courgettes but ruled that out when I checked the packet which had come from boring old B&Q (I picked up an excellent collection of half price seeds in February). Yes, we're not too far from two nuclear power stations; although neither generating and one a lot further down the decommissioning route than the other.

This afternoon I'll have a go at gently fishing them out and turning over the confused ones. The reason for the quantity is that I've made peace with the fact that I am rubbish at germinating seeds, and even if they do sprout I'm dreadful at keeping them alive. If I plant enough there's a danger that some might survive. I also have an enormous garden that is currently being stripped bare by a friendly neighbour. He's turning pretty much all he can see to bare earth and I need to somehow fill the space. If I end up with too much veg I've got some lovely neighbours who'll help use it  up and 5 ex-batt chooks who are always most appreciative of anything that's not layers pellets. They've already had most of the cabbages that have been got by little crawly grubs that ate the roots and are now eyeing up my kale.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 16:04 »
Don't get too worried about upside down germination - seedlings sort themselves out - nature is a clever thing LOL

The chooks will benefit from anything that is spare or unwanted so it wont go to waste.

A big area of garden is probably most easily maintained by having grass that can be mown rather than too much bare soil where weeds can germinate. Maybe the worse thing is having bramble develop but a good mower will take care of the when it is still small.

Good luck with the growing - looks as if you have germinating seeds well under control - just do it - none of us get it right 100% of the time - what works one time may not be successful next time - I guess that's what helps make it a challenge and enjoyable when we do get it right. (even with Aussie seeds ;) )

erikaz1

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 14:24 »
Update! They've mostly righted themselves with the exception of 2 which had a bit of help.

As for the big garden, it's  not quite as simple as it sounds. It was an abandoned mess when I moved in, covered in self-seeded sycamore and ash that were absolutely enormous. The best guess is most of them were about  30 years old and the garden hadn't been touched in about the same amount of time. It is also incredibly steep, far too steep to put a mower on and far too full of rocks, broken glass, clay tiles and scrap metal. My lovely neighbour has spent most of the last year digging, clearing, building steps and paths and mostly being an  absolute gardening genius. He's well into his 80's but still insists on carrying railway sleepers around and cutting them up with a handsaw to turn them into steps.

The brambles are definitely getting a hold. I'm about  to sign out of work for the afternoon  and go digging to see if we can  get access to the fruit bushes again. One day, probably not this year or any time soon, it'll be lovely. In the mean time I just need to grow enough stuff to stop the thing looking like a muddy mess. If the chooks and wildlife can benefit from any excess, even better!
20190620_114450.jpg
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 14:30 by erikaz1 »

xx
Upside Down

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 07:28
by WG.
xx
Upside down toms

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 16:29
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Upside down tomato's

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:51
by loubylou29
xx
Upside down or downside up???? ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 08:59
by jacnal

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 50 queries.