Fruit Trees - Bare Root or Container

• 6 Replies

happyplotter

Fruit Trees - Bare Root or Container
« on: March 29, 2011, 16:37 »
Hi, I am after a bit of advice, I had a two apple, a pear and plum tree delivered bare root back in october.  I hadn't sorted out the area of my allotment where i wished to plant them so i put them in a large tub filled with compost.  I have now sorted out where the apple trees will be and have planted them, no problems and should have the pear in by the end of the week.  My question is, i will not get round to planting the plum tree before the end of march which is what they say the deadline is for bare root trees, but as i've got mine in a large container, is this now classed as a container tree which you can plant at anytime?  your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.  happyplotter :unsure:

Trillium

Re: Fruit Trees - Bare Root or Container
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 17:01 »
As long as its potted with soil around the roots and watered regularly, you can plant out whenever it suits. It's got a head start putting out feeder roots, etc and will be happy until you're ready.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 17:05 »
I agree with Trillium Happyplotter.  The plum tree will be establishing itself in the container, so keep it well watered and it should be fine to plant later.

You are doing at home what nurseries do to produce container trees.  They field grow them, then lift them over winter and pot up for sale as container trees the next year :)

katholicos

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 18:53 »
I've today taken delivery of 3 fruit trees; cherry summer sun, plum victoria and apple redlove. I've put the cherry and plum into large containers, and will likely eep them in containers as they were all sold as suitable for container fruit trees. The apple, i will take down to Mums static and plant in a large container there, that way if she ever leaves the site we can take the apple tree with us.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 19:39 »
Katholicos, just one thing about your apple tree - how often will someone be at the site?  Trees in containers will need constant watering attention, particularly in their first year but on an ongoing basis.  If someone is only going to be there e.g. at weekends during the summer, the tree may well suffer.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

katholicos

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 21:25 »
Yorkie, i'm glad you mentioned that!

I think it'll be okay as it is only the winter months we won't be able to get down and i suppose we'll have to pray for a lot of rain then. For the summer months though i think i will have to use some kind of slow release water think to stick in the container. May have to rethink the apple tree, though, come to think of it.

Thanks for that :-)

happyplotter

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 16:48 »
Thanks for that Trillium and Newshoot! ;)

xx
'Bare Root' fruit trees

Started by Wombat18 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 11:25
by gillie
xx
Bare root fruit trees

Started by Sandpit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 16:36
by jonewer
question
Is this acceptable for bare root trees?

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 10:00
by Ema
xx
storeing bare root trees/canes

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 22:39
by catweazle

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 33 queries.