Is this acceptable for bare root trees?

• 14 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Is this acceptable for bare root trees?
« on: December 09, 2019, 13:28 »
Hello,

For the first time we just bare root trees. We got a cherry, a crabapple and a plum. The cherry is fine if looking like the roots were stopped from growing deeper but the other pair are distinctly lacking in roots at all. What roots there were having been cut off very short. The crab apple is the worst -also a lot of branches are snapped. But the plum has 2 big tap roots which have been cut off very short. I'm rather cross, disappointed and severely doubt that the trees will thrive. It looks like they went down and cut it off rather than actually getting a proper root. It's pure careless.

Is this acceptable and normal or am I over reacting? Please ignore the big blue foot.

Pictures 1+ 2 are the crab apple, 3+4 are the plum.
Crabapplerootstock.jpg
Crabapple2.jpg
plumrootstock.jpg
plumrootstock2.jpg

Lardman

Re: Is this acceptable for bare root trees?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 15:45 »
Above the graft : In my opinion both are fine if you ordered a maiden and just if you ordered feathered maiden.
Below : Plum depends on the rootstock, but it's ok-ish. Crab - it's poor, you should be expecting twice that.

Both will be fine once planted and settled in for a season. I'd complain about the crab but not the plum, plant them both anyway. If it's a "big brand" name and shame them, I'd certainly like to know who not to buy from.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:54 »
If it's a "big brand" name and shame them, I'd certainly like to know who not to buy from.

Dobies.

For 2 out of 3 trees to be so badly dug up I wonder how much of their crop is damaged in this way and end up failing to thrive. The John Downie crab apple was to be a gift for the local school nursery and we don't feel that we can give it to them like that. Too much care needed and they can't give it that attention. We have messaged them. I'll update you with what they say.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:40 »
It is definitely not acceptable for trees that height to have such little basic roots never mind the fibrous ones. I'm glad you've complained so let us know what happens.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 12:29 »
Still no response.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 17:17 »
Response was no interest in seeing the pictures and to tell us that they are fine.

I am inclined to ask to send them back as unsatisfactory but what would everyone else do here?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:17 »
I would have to continue if it was me, but it very tiring to have to do so.    It is almost like they are saying "she'll be happy with three and so won't bother with the fourth"    My Dobies catalogue goes in the bin now.
Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 17:28 »
Have you planted them?  If not, how have you stored them, as the roots they do have would have wanted to be heeled in at least.

It is your choice.  I would have planted them, raised the issues and seen how they did, as Lardman suggested.  Bottom line though is that you are the customer and have the right to return anything you are not happy with  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 19:32 »
Bare root plants are a tricky subject, being neither dead nor alive when shipped, with several months before you can tell whether they will survive or not, and even then it's not easy to decide fairly whose fault it is.

Did your supplier offer any sort of guarantee in the event of failure?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 10:19 »
It's a difficult one to answer because any goods have to be fit for purpose but you won't know until late spring if they've taken as JG says. Personally I'd pursue it as their response is not good enough and neither is their attitude towards a customer. 

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 10:54 »
Have you planted them?  If not, how have you stored them, as the roots they do have would have wanted to be heeled in at least.

It is your choice.  I would have planted them, raised the issues and seen how they did, as Lardman suggested.  Bottom line though is that you are the customer and have the right to return anything you are not happy with  :)

We photographed, heeled them in and then had a grump.

I'll send a photograph and ask do they think that little roots are acceptable and if so ask for a return as we're not happy.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 10:55 »
Bare root plants are a tricky subject, being neither dead nor alive when shipped, with several months before you can tell whether they will survive or not, and even then it's not easy to decide fairly whose fault it is.

That's exactly what we're afraid of, by the time you can tell it's too late to do much and they can say it's your fault, you should have complained earlier.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 10:56 »
It's a difficult one to answer because any goods have to be fit for purpose but you won't know until late spring if they've taken as JG says. Personally I'd pursue it as their response is not good enough and neither is their attitude towards a customer.

Thank you.
We ordered rhubarb a few months ago and one of the 3 has died so I'm a bit disenchanted.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 11:33 »

That's exactly what we're afraid of, by the time you can tell it's too late to do much and they can say it's your fault, you should have complained earlier.

I ordered my raspberry canes from Blackmoor nurseries, and they came with a replacement undertaking should they fail to grow in the first year following planting, as long as I can prove they were treated and planted correctly.
That could clearly be tricky, and presumably I'd also have to wait until the following winter for any replacements, but then again the canes appeared to have been carefully harvested and packed, so no reason to be concerned at this stage.

If your trees came without a similar guarantee, I suggest you make sure you give them written notice about your concerns and your intention to demand a refund should any of them fail to survive.
Keep all the evidence, including the pictures and a link to this thread.

Ema

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 10:00 »
I ordered a cherry Stella and a russet apple last spring and received them a few weeks ago. I brought them with house warming gift vouchers. I was also disappointed in the size (about 4ft) and the size of the root ball. The russet was £30+ and the cherry around £20 if I remember correctly.

I decided in future I wouldn’t buy from catalogs - I’d either buy the cheap 2 for £10 deals or from a tree nursery in person. I recently went to the Dutchy nursery near Liskeard and their bear root apples looked great.

This is a photo of the apple I think for comparison.
6B4535E4-924B-46C7-B275-1D7C1FB73811.jpeg

xx
Bare root fruit trees

Started by Sandpit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 16:36
by jonewer
xx
'Bare Root' fruit trees

Started by Wombat18 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 11:25
by gillie
xx
Fruit Trees - Bare Root or Container

Started by happyplotter on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 16:48
by happyplotter
xx
storeing bare root trees/canes

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 22:39
by catweazle

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 55 queries.