hen houses plural?

• 16 Replies

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« on: July 16, 2008, 21:01 »
My girls need a bigger house but money is a wee bit tight at the mo, could I get away with putting another house in of the same size as the existing one so they have two houses or will this cause problems? It's just that I can do this a lot cheaper than building a new larger one
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

agapanthus

hen houses plural?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 21:43 »
Why not join 2 together, either side by side or the front of one to the back of the other? .......Nice to hear from you again! :)

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 21:48 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Why not join 2 together, either side by side or the front of one to the back of the other? .......Nice to hear from you again! :)

that's a blooming good idea aggie!!! why didn't I think of that  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
and thank - you it's nice to be back-I do pop up now and again just not very often nowadays I'm afraid! I've decided I'm going to have to invent a 48 hour day  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
hen houses plural?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 23:11 »
That's what Brian does PB, he takes the end off the existing shed, builds new front and back and extends floor and roof, then puts old end on new bigger shed.  Like my brooder which is now twice as big!

[/IMG]

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58 »
That looks really good Grannie, looks like more than a days work though, what do your girls do while it's being done or is your Brian a very quick worker?

GrannieAnnie

hen houses plural?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:13 »
LOL PB, Brian's not that quick anymore, he's got the manana syndrom now, (I'll do that tomorrow!!!)   :D

But he got all the wood, most of it from the skip at work, all cut and ready, then after I cleaned out the original half (on the left) he took the end off and fitted it together in the space of a few days, but it was only an hour here or there, so he could have fitted it all a day easily.  Then I got it all ready for the next batch of chicks which were due a few days afterwards.

He did the same with the big house, we cut off the end that was being extended with some old plywood, then he took the end off, extended it another 16 foot making it 34 foot long, and he's now in the process of putting another 17ft foot on the other end!!!!!  Like the brooder extension, the floor will be made of pallet wood, but luckily we hae just been given some onduline, so that is the roof sorted!

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:49 »
So you didn't have chooks living in it at the time? Unfortunately mine are going to be living amongst the renovations, (oh the dust! the mess!!! :lol: ) I guess I'll have to make up panels as far as poss before taking the side off the original part, wish me luck!

GrannieAnnie

hen houses plural?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30 »
If you measure your extension well and get everything ready to go, it won't take long to put it all together!  If we were nearer, Brian could come and help!  And I'll make the coffee!!!!   :lol:

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:39 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
If we were nearer, Brian could come and help!  And I'll make the coffee!!!!   :lol:

I wish you could!!! I'd even bake a cake  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

hen houses plural?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 14:12 »
Oh yum!!!!

We would have been nearer if we'd still been in St Osyth!!!!!

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 14:49 »
That's not far from here at all!!! How on earth did you end up in lincolnshire?

agapanthus

hen houses plural?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 16:44 »
I'm sure the choox won't mind a bit of mess for a while! ;)

GrannieAnnie

hen houses plural?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 22:33 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
That's not far from here at all!!! How on earth did you end up in lincolnshire?

When we lived in St Osyth, I was still commuting to London every day getting up at 4.30am!!  Brian was growing a fe turkeys at Christmas and said he wanted to be a poultry farmer, but we couldn't afford anywhere bigger.  

Then I saw this place on the internet and we thought well its got half an acre so we can start off here, do it up and move to a bigger place, but as soon as we got here the prices here rocketed and 6 years later next Tuesday, we are still here! And he hasn't had any turkeys since we've been here, and the only reason we have the chickens is because I look after them!!!!  We also had loads of problems with the council over not being able to sell anything commercially even though this place had an agricultural tie on it, but that's a long story thats on the forum somewhere!!!  But we've just got the tie lifted, so now we can sell the house for a profit, not a loss like the concil were trying to make us do!

But I quite liked the area around St Osyth, and we were only 2 miles from the sea and I used to like our winter walks along the sea front at Clacton, an go and have a coffee and a cake on the deserted prom!!!!

purplebat

hen houses plural?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 23:44 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
And he hasn't had any turkeys since we've been here, and the only reason we have the chickens is because I look after them!!!!  

ain't that typical! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

our allotment is actually hubby's - it's just that I do the work there  :?

GrannieAnnie

hen houses plural?
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 00:15 »
Glad its not just me then!

xx
HEN HOUSES

Started by Ali10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 07:12
by muntjac
xx
Hen Houses

Started by Digger the Dog on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 16:51
by Val H
xx
New Hen Houses

Started by Briony on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:55
by Briony
xx
rearing houses

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 36 queries.