I want some advice please

• 19 Replies

eggsandgardens

« on: January 19, 2008, 23:40 »
Hi there everyone.
After watching everything on tv recently, I have decided to get some egg laying chickens.  I have read stacks of information and have found a site with plans for a chicken coop - http://www.buildeazy.com/chicken_coop_1.html
(luckily for me, my husband is a joiner, so I can get him on the case).
I'm just a bit puzzled - As I am new to this, should I go for chickens already laying or chicks - AND - what would be a good number for us to have (we are a family of 4) - the area i'm going to have for the run is 12ft X 4ft.  Also, as I have 2 young children, i'd like a breed with a friendly disposition - which is ????
Final question - when the coop is ready for the birds, where do I go to buy some - I live in Nottingham.

Thanks very much
Fiona

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 23:43 »
Firstly welcome to the forums , if you want a nice docile egg layer then go for a hybrid like warrens they will lay day after day, not go broody ( well virtually never) and 3 possibly 4 birds will do you fine, I've got 4 and get 3-4 eggs everyday. And buy them at Point Of Lay.

When you get a min you may want to post a hello in the "welcome forums" we are a nosey bunch and you'll probably get loads of replies. :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

eggsandgardens

Thanks for that
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 23:47 »
Hi there,
Thanks for the information.  May I say "what a great forum".  I have just stumbled across this site and it's EXACTLY what i'm looking for.
Ta

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 23:49 »
Hi Fiona, good luck with your new hobby!

Have a look on www.agregister.co.uk/product-366120.html and put in your postcode.  It will give you registered point of lay suppliers in a given area.

Am I too far from you?  Have a look at my blog please!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 23:53 »
Welcome Fiona

How nice to have a husband who can build you a coop - wonderful

The size run you mention would, in my opinion, take 4 medium sized laying hens which when they are laying would give you about 2 doz eggs per week.

I would always advice a new hen keeper to buy 'Point of Lay' hens, they are  between 16 - 24 weeks old and should be laying by the age of about 24 weeks.  Get  them from a good supplier so that you can be reasonably sure they will be healthy.

There are many laying hybrid hens to choose from and many people have their favorites

Welsummers, Goldlines, Light sussex, and one of our members (grannieannie) is rearing some Amberlinks for sale, there are many other breeds too, you'll have time to find a supplier and decide which birds to buy while the coop is being built.

You'll find everyone on here really willing to advise you.  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 23:55 »
You'll find everyone on here really willing to advise you.

That's right Auntie, chickens will rule the world yet!!!!!    :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 00:04 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
You'll find everyone on here really willing to advise you.

That's right Auntie, chickens will rule the world yet!!!!!    :lol:  :lol:

Not arf grannie - no home should be without some  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 00:05 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 00:10 »
I like the name change Fiona  :D

Selkie

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:13 »
:D Hi from me too Fiona, and congratulations on making the best decision ever (to get hens, of course :D )

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:41 »
Our ISA Browns have been really good egg layers and they're really docile.  Well one's not, but she only 'shows her assertive side' to the other girls, not us.

I appreciate that there are loads of suitable UK breeds, but we're picking up a couple of Padova hens next week.  Little white birds that are reputedly VERY reliable layers - an egg a day or your money back.  The eggs aren't big, but we'll give them a shot.  I only mention it as if you have a smaller run, smaller birds will be happier...??

Also, be aware that Point of Lay doesn't necessarily mean they'll start firing out eggs as soon as you get them.  You may need a little patience.  Ours have always taken about a month to get 'regular'.

Selkie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:45 »
Oh yes, and try and make sure you get girls only and not a cockerel

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 11:18 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
:D Hi from me too Fiona, and congratulations on making the best decision ever (to get hens, of course :D )

No rosemary, her best decision was joining this forum!!!! lol

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 13:05 »
welcome eggsandgardens! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
This is a friendly and helpful site - sometimes the boys get a naughty! wont take you long to work out which ones!!! :lol:  :lol:
Good luck with building your own coop. Top tip we've built a few now-don't make them too heavy! It really helps if you want to move them around the garden!! :oops:
There are lots of breeds to choose from - just take your time and try to have a look a few different breeds. Grannieannie has some lovely birds and some of the forum members now have them! And we are a nosy bunch and love photos!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 13:53 »
my two pence worth -

we keep bantams - silkies and sultans. We got them more for their comical looks and nice temprament rather than for egg laying capacity but have definately not regretted it. We have found that the smaller bantam eggs are actually a good thing as you use two to every one large egg in a recipe so the fact that we are getting 12 eggs a week (with only 2 hens laying - 4 to go!!) is not overfacing. They are lovely child friendly chickens that small kids are able to pick up, hand feed etc without the boisterousness of some of the larger breeds. Plus we could keep several more chickens as well - never think you are only going to have two - chicken are addictive!!

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice

Started by spencekelliem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:25
by craig1981
xx
Cat advice

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:33
by Belinda
xx
fox advice

Started by Ockers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 10:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.