the weather forecast rain and rain

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

the weather forecast rain and rain
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:37 »
when I ask myself is it actually going to stop raining can't get my head round anything to do because as soon as you start something outside it starts raining

jobs to do down the allotments put on hold logs to cut put on hold started replacing some steps in the garden got the hole out to concrete down came the rain and filled the footings  with water  >:(need to replace the potting shed roof no chance we usually collect a trailer of horse manure each month and take it down the allotments but because the field is sodden we are unable to take the tractor down the field so we ended up storing it in large builders bags till possibly spring

hopefully the ground will eventually dry up come spring or will it? I can see us having to pay more for our veg if things don't improve  as for our fellow gardeners that need to dig heavy ground overwinter to get good spring cultivation it must be very frustrating because I've found that one part of our plot that is on the heavy side does not cultivate well if its not turned over prior to winter

haven't seen the long range forecast but I know we have several months of winter weather before we can look forward to spring again I can't remember seeing so much rain over a period time as we have had here over the last  months and to top it of all we need is a hosepipe ban next summer that would really be something  >:(

Goosegirl

Re: the weather forecast rain and rain
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:24 »
Many of the dykes here are totally full, the fields are so sodden that ancient river courses can be seen, my g'house path is under about 4" water, and God only knows how my box hedges and other plants will manage to survive.  ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 12:35 »
I'm sorry to here about that Goosegirl and I hope you get those probs resolved when and if the rain ever stops RW

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 16:48 »
Welcome to the sort of weather we've endured here in Carlisle for the last twenty years. Some residents are still suffering the results of the 2015 floods following floods in 2005 and 2010

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 18:45 »
I've got sandy soil on top of sandstone subsoil, so have never seen a puddle no matter how much it rains.
Nothing to be smug about though - even added compost magically disappears, and the battle to restore nutrient levels high enough to successfully grow crops will continue next year...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 23:28 »
Yes, the UK weather is a sick joke at times. Never a happy medium these days, it is either months of dryness of months of deluge. I use a bicycle for local transport and it is getting tiring getting dressed like I am about to climb Ben Nevis just to do a 10 minute journey into town.

Nothing I can do about it, so have to work around it. I have got a couple of major jobs on the allotment to do over winter but I am not attempting to do them if it keeps raining like this. It is getting as bad as the awful winter of 2013/14, only without the destructive winds.

Stewarty

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 23:50 »
I have actually been able to make some slow progress over the past few wet weeks  -  partly because I'm retired and can more or less choose the times when I can dodge the rain and go along to the allotments, and partly because the tasks I'n currently attempting don't need me to tread on the soft soil. I've been digging out 3 old compost bins, constructing new ones, and laying down cardboard collected from bike shops, which rapidly gets wet and heavy enough that there's no risk of it blowing around. I've just moved on to the phase of barrowing woodchips from the huge piles left outside our site gates by local tree surgeons, to create a 4 - 6 inch covering over the cardboard, with the idea that I'll be planting strong plants that I'll be growing from seed throughthe chippings and cardboard next spring.  And in January I'll be moving all my wife's stuff away from our conservatory shelves at home, and setting up multiple seed trays for the early tender seedlings which will mostly be targetted toward my 2 rickety greenhouses at the allotments  -  auergines, peppers, tomators, cucumbers....   (I know I tend to sow seeds too early in the year, but I shall earnestly strive not to sow any at all until at least early February....! )     -   Oh the ways we find to dream our way past the dark mid-winter!

xx
Rain, rain go away

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2023, 20:06
by Yorkie
xx
Whenever we do get any rain.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 07:20
by arh
xx
Rain dances.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 19:22
by Growster...
xx
Flipping rain!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 12:44
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 39 queries.