Very very tall tomatoes- Hardly any fruit

• 18 Replies

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: Very very tall tomatoes- Hardly any fruit
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 21:39 »
My greenhouse tomatoes have been poor this year in comparison to last year's efforts.  It's a bit of a disappointment but like others have said, our Great British weather isn't that reliable so you've just got to take it on the chin and cross your fingers that next year will be better!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 11:45 »
thank you for your replies, hurray my first cherry tom is turning orange, if all else fails I will do as you suggest and bring them in for the final ripening

thanks again

broody
if wishes were changes.......

BabbyAnn

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37 »
It's been a very strange year for tomatoes - my greenhouse toms have not done as well as the outdoor ones despite the watering, feeding and flower tapping.  The outdoor ones on the other hand have not grown much in height but I'm almost sure that's due to the ongoing dry conditions in this region of the country, but fruit-wise the plants are straining under the sheer weight.  Some shorter season and cherry varieties are only just ripening ... as much as I've complained about the lack of water from the skies this year, I'm now watching the down turn in the weather forecast with dread  :(  If it starts to look worrying, I'll be harvesting all my green toms from outside and ripening them indoors rather than risk blight

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06 »
it really has been an odd year for toms.

i always sow mine rather early, as i try to get a decent crop before blight, although this year they have been slow to ripen.

my sungold have been brilliant, both inside and outside.  my first year of growing them (thanks forumites for the recommendation).  my legend also ripened early but not a great yield, i have removed the plants now, my vilma were also good.  some of my rio grande have ripened and my romas are beginning to turn as well, so fingers crossed all is not lost.

every year is different, lets hope the blight fairy stays away a little longer ::)

xx
Really tall courgettes, no fruit?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 21:27
by wighty
xx
Tomatoes setting fruit

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 07:36
by corndolly
xx
When do tomatoes start to fruit?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 13:30
by DD.
xx
Lots of tomatoes-no fruit

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 17:40
by japagow

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.