Strange Wheezing?

• 9 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Strange Wheezing?
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:36 »
Hi all

We've had our ex-batts for around a month now and they're doing very well!!

However, this morning I noticed that one of our hens stayed inside when I let them out.  Normally they race out in the morning, so I had a look in and she seemed to be wheezing

Only she wasn't wheezing so much when she inhaled, but it was when she exhaled.

Am now sat at work worried sick but hoping you can reassure me a little - perhaps she was just in the process of laying?  It did look as though she was straining to force something out a little (at least I think it did - wishful thinking perhaps)

Any advice???

Thank you!!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Strange Wheezing?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58 »
If she is still wheezing when you get home, I'd get her to the vet.  She may need some anti-biotic.  Separate her from the rest of your hens until she has recovered.
Put Apple Cider Vinegar in the hens drinking water (25ml [5 teaspoons] to 1 litre of water) and a clove of garlic.
Good luck
cathangirl

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:02 »
Thank you - I'll keep an eye on her and make up some water for her as above.  If it is just a chest infection-type thing, do you think it will be contageous?  And if so maybe I should get some antibiotics for the other girls too?

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 14:56 »
Does her nostrels smell???  Are they bubbling???? is she sneezing????   If not she may just have something stuck......sound more to me like an infection.  Check when you get home and phone the vets......

Vets love seeing chickens believe me !!"! well mine does :tongue2:   she says it makes a change from your average cat and dog at chickens dont bite!!!!  They give gentle pecks, I call them kisses  its just sometimes they peck too hard....

Keep us updated     remember if you catch things quick they can usually be sorted...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 15:09 »
It could well be infectious and ex-batts have never been subjected to many germs in their caged life so their resistance to infection is low.  I would therefore, ask the vet to give you enough antibiotic to treat them all.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 15:50 »
Thank you!  I have an appointment at the vets this afternoon (17:20) - someone checked on them a short while ago and at the moment she's still ok (breathing funny but ok).

Hopefully it's very minor - being new to chickens it seems that there's so much more that can go wrong (well, not more, but it's completely different to keeping a cat!) - so I get in a panic, not helped by the fact they're exbatts so even more fragile.

I will let you know what the vet says...

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 19:42 »
Thanks for the advice - sadly our hen was put to sleep a couple of hours ago - she had pneumonia!!  :(

I'm now really worried about the others and it looks like one is showing similar signs, albeit not as severe... so back to the vets in the morning I think!

...at least she had a nice few weeks free ranging!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 21:40 »
Don't be put off. My mate who I share my lotty and chucks with is a vet nurse and she has been surprised at how much more work and care ex-bats need. She even went as far as to say that she wouldn't recommend them to a beginner or anyone who works fulltime (!) I wouldn't go that far myself - but it is a bit more involved than buying in pol.
I do think though that people are wary of taking hens to vets and sometimes an injection of baytril will save a hen and it need not cost too much. If you are worried it's better to talk to a vet sooner rather than later. Nic.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 21:41 »
Thanks for the advice - sadly our hen was put to sleep a couple of hours ago - she had pneumonia!!  :(

I'm now really worried about the others and it looks like one is showing similar signs, albeit not as severe... so back to the vets in the morning I think!

...at least she had a nice few weeks free ranging!

Did you ask the vet for antibiotic cover for the other hens ?

matilda duck

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 21:43 »
Oh Chasechicken I am so sorry.   :(
Batts are strange creatures.  You gave her a fantastic life.  :)

The trouble is like Aunt Sally says they've never been exposed to illness and things.   I find mine much harder work than my other 6 normal chickens!!!!!

Hope the others are ok...keep us informed.

xx
Wheezing Hen

Started by Gilly on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 17:56
by Gilly
xx
wheezing lady

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:25
by sussexchook
xx
wheezing 9 week old leghorn help please

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 09:25
by bantam novice
question
4 sneezing hens + rooster! UPDATE!! Now terrible rattles and wheezing! HELP!

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 13:53
by kegs

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 34 queries.