`New` Greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Mary Mary

`New` Greenhouse
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:53 »
Hi all
I have just taken delivery of a secondhand greenhouse (good condition) never had one before.  I am keen to use it through the winter - advice on what is possible to grow please?  Will it need a heat source?  (I have onions, garlic and broad beans already sown in my plot).
Mary Mary
Mary Mary

home made pie

• Experienced Member
`New` Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:42 »
Hi Mary Mary, I got my secondhand greenhouse in April this year, at the moment it's still got the last of the toms, peppers and chillies but I've also recently put some potatoes in buckets of soil, which are growing well at the moment and I have rocket, lettuce, watercress, basil, corriander all growing really well.  I haven't got a heater yet but as it's my first winter I was going to wait and see what happens then decide if I need a heater next winter.  I'm really new to this but hopefully others can give you a few more suggestions, let us know how you get on  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
`New` Greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48 »
Ive got spuds in bags, sweet peas, carrots in tubs, I will also cut down my best chillies and store them in there over the winter.  Ive got some peas in pots (simply because I wanted to see if they will be ok, Ive never done overwintering peas before) and may try some all year round lettuce for Christmas prawn cocktail starter.
My GH is a lean to, not a fully fledged GH, and is unheated, though it does get heat from the wall its against from the neighbours central heating.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
`New` Greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45 »
I have carrots (Parmex) and radish on the go in mine, tend not to put to much on the go as I like to give it a good clean for next year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Ice

• muck spreader
`New` Greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:52 »
If you have the time you can double glaze it with bubble wrap.  I used bubblewrap from Argos, thin wire and duck tape.  It's very snug in there now.
Cheese makes everything better.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
`New` Greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:06 »
Quote from: "Ice"
If you have the time you can double glaze it with bubble wrap.  I used bubblewrap from Argos, thin wire and duck tape.  It's very snug in there now.

you sound like you've moved in  ;)
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
Greenhouse

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 13:25
by 8doubles
xx
yay new greenhouse

Started by freyaluck on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 18:56
by freyaluck
xx
greenhouse bed

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 21:24
by DD.
xx
Greenhouse

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 13:28
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 33 queries.