sick bird

• 5 Replies

ste23

sick bird
« on: April 10, 2012, 17:44 »
can anybody help my chicken is off colour she stumbled out her coop, she sat down dosent want to get up , she shuts her eyes when ya pick her up ,,her comb is red but going black, bum area soft crop seems full she hist at me can  anybody help please she is my daughters thanks jeanette

kegs

Re: sick bird
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 18:37 »
Hi
When was she last wormed and what with?  Have you recently introduced any new chickens to the flock?  One of my chickens recently started hissing at me, wouldn't get up and looked spaced out then I realised she'd gone broody.  Could that be what's happened with yours?

ste23

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 18:47 »
she was wormed when we got them last year my other 4 girls are fine, i have  put coco in the nest box about 1 hour ago and she,s not moved her comb is going a blacky colour do they refuse to walk when they are nesting and have no intrest in anything

kegs

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 19:09 »
she was wormed when we got them last year my other 4 girls are fine, i have  put coco in the nest box about 1 hour ago and she,s not moved her comb is going a blacky colour do they refuse to walk when they are nesting and have no intrest in anything

Mine just went on her nest and turned broody in an afternoon, refusing to move and plumped out. 

It's the black comb that bothers me.  What colour was it yesterday and how black is it now.  I think one of the site experts (Joyfull) has said that a blue tinged comb was a sign of heart problems in chickens.  I think I've read that if a chicken has frostbite then its comb might turn black too.  I suggest you take her to a chicken friendly vet just in case.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 20:49 »
dark coloured combs can be a sign of heart problems - not enough oxygen circulating. It can also be a sign of a vitamin deficiency (one of the B group) for which you can try tempting her with a little Marmite on toast. The emphasis here is a little as it is very salty. however I would suggest a trip to the vets is in order.
Is she laying? Is her vent pulsing? Has she an egg stuck?
Staffies are softer than you think.

ste23

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 21:01 »
dont think she has a egg stuck cause she is soft,, the 4 other chickens are keeping well away from her looking at it again its like a bluey purpley colour ,her comb  i will get a picure and post tomorrow

xx
Big Bird

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 13:42
by joyfull
xx
bird flu

Started by citspeed on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 13:33
by Foxy
xx
Bird flu

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 20:45
by Selkie
sad
Sad Looking Bird

Started by dad3 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 18:21
by Derculees

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.