Can a rat-phobic keep hens??

• 8 Replies

Mrs.Veg

« on: February 05, 2007, 11:06 »
Hello folks, I'm new to this forum, what a wise bunch you are!  Got a question for you - I would really like to start with bantams but I am petrified of rats - is this a non-starter?  I kept ducks before with no problems, partly because I was extremely careful to keep everything secure and clean.  What do you think folks, shall I go for it? :)

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:41 »
go for it ... cleanliness and rat bait stations wil fix ya no worries ..have fun  :wink:
still alive /............

psipower

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:45 »
YES!

Well, actually, I'm not sure  :lol: .

Seriously, if you didn't get rats before, and keep the same level of security/tidiness, there is no reason you'll get them now.

Any particular reason for bantams?

Mrs.Veg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:48 »
Cheers mate, all the other websites I've looked at paint such a gloomy picture.  If the rats don't get you the red mites will, or worse still the flippin' bird flu scare.  (doesn't put me off one iota)  Anyway, hubby goin' to build sheddy thingy soon.  We've got a 30 odd metre area with trees in, quite near the house, I fancy 3 or 4 bantams for starters. They should be happy in there!

Mrs.Veg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:50 »
Thanks psipower, my ducks were in the marshy part of our rambling pile, about 100 yds from the house.  The rats would have needed a boat to get there I reckon!  We had to give up the ducks coz a badger was terrorising them (we think we had them too far from the house).  And of course, you can't touch a badger!

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 11:52 »
sounds like you have no nieghbour worries so half doz buff orpington banty hens n a cockerel maybe some welsummers as well ..  :wink:

Mrs.Veg

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 12:32 »
I love buff orpingtons.  I'm very green at keeping hens, I'm thinking april time would be when i might get some POL.  Is that right?

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:40 »
you can get pols now but i wouldnt even think of getting any birds in till end march at the latest so you have loads time to get sorted , if you have kept ducks then you have no worries about keeping chucks ,ducks are werse house mates than chickens anyday  :lol: . what info you need on keeping chucks healthy and enjoying them is all on here with the poultry page posters so just read up and i am sure there isnt much you didnt do with ducks that you wont with chucks

Mrs.Veg

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:45 »
Ta very much.  I'll go and read all the info so you don't have to repeat yourself! :D

An you're right about ducks, they're skittery beasts to look after!

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 28 queries.