Too late to repot

• 6 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Too late to repot
« on: March 19, 2008, 21:36 »
I was thinking on Easter Monday of repotting my apple trees and blueberries into bigger planters (20 in for the apple trees instead of 18 now) and the bueberries will go into the apple tree planters.

Is it too late assuming I water them carefully next week ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Too late to repot
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 22:06 »
Is there any growth at the mo, mine looks like it is starting to bud, if so they may be better where they are this year and moving next.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Too late to repot
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 22:41 »
It is only just beginning to bud so I guess it could be repotted - but should it be ?

Earl Grey

Too late to repot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:41 »
Ideally they should be repotted in late winter months whilst they are dormant. Some say Spring starts on 1st March, others on 20/21st.
so technically it is borderline, a better guide is the weather and growing conditions, if it has been quite cold where you are and they have not got too much fresh growth I would go ahead and repot. They have much more to gain and less to lose as long as you do it carefully.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Too late to repot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:13 »
Quote from: "King Edward"
Ideally they should be repotted in late winter months whilst they are dormant. Some say Spring starts on 1st March, others on 20/21st.
so technically it is borderline, a better guide is the weather and growing conditions, if it has been quite cold where you are and they have not got too much fresh growth I would go ahead and repot. They have much more to gain and less to lose as long as you do it carefully.

Have you got any advice ?  I thought that I just pull them out carefully and replant them in the big ones.

It will be cold this weekend in London (I choose my user name so people know where I am) so I guess it could be an idea.

What do other people think ?

Earl Grey

Too late to repot
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:00 »
Oops! sorry londongardener I seemed to of touched a nerve.
I was just suggesting that although some may consider it a bit late you should be ok if done carefully, only trying to help.

(Previously King Edward now changed to Earl grey as there was already a King Edward)

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Too late to repot
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:06 »
Quote from: "Earl Grey"
Oops! sorry londongardener I seemed to of touched a nerve.
I was just suggesting that although some may consider it a bit late you should be ok if done carefully, only trying to help.

(Previously King Edward now changed to Earl grey as there was already a King Edward)

No problem - thanks for the advice.
One thing I did not realize (partly because I didn't even realize this could happen).  Is that the planters the apple trees were in did not have any drainage holes so by repotting them I have saved them from being water logged - assuming that were not fatally damaged by this.

Why do planters not come with the holes already there ??

xx
Why repot?

Started by pulse on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 15:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Can I repot tomatoes now?

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 13:48
by casper
xx
tomato seeds : repot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 20:28
by griff
xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 36 queries.