First time show. help please?!

• 15 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
First time show. help please?!
« on: April 18, 2012, 18:39 »
Hi I have had my allotment for the second year and where i live they are doing a veg, flower and craft show at the end of July.
I was thinking of maybe entering:
Carrots- i am currently growing Amsterdam, Autumn King and nantes
Potatoes- I am currenty growing Pentland Javelin, Maris Piper, Romano
French Bean
Onion- growing white, red and shallots
Tomatoes- currently growing tumblers, Money maker and Gardeners delight.

If you were showing them which would you choose and what else can i do to get it right? I am totally clueless to showing so excited to learn now.

Thanks in advance,
Charl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: First time show. help please?!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 19:55 »
I'm not a show grower, but if they assess tomatoes for taste as well - bin the Moneymakers!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 20:19 »
oh really. ok thanks for the advice

Spana

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 20:41 »
Our show is just a small local show, its a lovely day and i really look forward to it.  :)
 I've never really grown any variety specially for the show, just put in the best i've got in each class i've entered.
 Some entries will be worse than mine, sometimes :wub:, sometimes mine are terrible. No one minds if  the veg, fruit, flowers and cakes are not perfect at our show but i know its taken  a lot more seriously at the big shows, but then i wouldn't be entering them with my stuff.
Is there anyone  you can ask who knows the ropes  for your show. Failing that just go for it and make notes on how things are done for next year.
I take lots of photos of ways to display things like onions, rhubarb, or whatever so i've got a standard to work to.If you can visit a few shows before hand look how the entries are presented to help you with your own. I think the judges usually judge just on appearance. :) 

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 20:48 »

Yes seriously, once you've tried other varieties, you'll find that whilst they have a better flavour than supermarket ones, they are vastly inferior to others you can get.

If it's looks only, you'll probably get away with it.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 20:49 »
aw thats great thanks. yeh ours is a tiny show too just for the local island residents. like you said might see what looks nice but havent got a clue how to present them. lol

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 20:50 »

Yes seriously, once you've tried other varieties, you'll find that whilst they have a better flavour than supermarket ones, they are vastly inferior to others you can get.

If it's looks only, you'll probably get away with it.

yeh taste test will tell me lol  :tongue2:

Totty

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 20:46 »
The most important choice to make when attempting to grow for a show is variety. But i assume you grow mainly for food therefore you could do with choosing the varietys that look and taste good.
 If you have a greenhouse i would suggest tomato "Shirley" as a decent inbetweener, very prolific with very good quality fruit that taste good.
I did get a first last year using gardeners delight in the cherry tom class though.
 Really you just need to pay a bit more attention to looking after all crops and hope that come show day you have some nice veg.

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 20:47 »
I'll second "Shirley".

Spana

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 20:56 »
Shirley for me also :)
Altho i do have a few moneymaker as well this year as the packet of seeds came free with something, cant remember what, and thought they would do for chutney. :)

OH's 96 year old mother insists on growing moneymaker and wont listen to my arguments that Shirley are better.  ::)

Carrot Man

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 21:04 »
It's difficult but if you grow mainly to eat then your variety should mainly be a good tasting one or you miss the main aim
However, if you have plenty of room to try other varieties then there are specific varieties better for showing due to their characteristics.
Many of the varieties best suited to show, are still good tasters but some are not so much

If you want to compete, getting the right variety is halfway there with the right quality seed. It's worth spending the extra cost to get a better quality seed. Then of course it is down to the growing method

Here are some good show varieties you may wish to try

Short Carrots - Sweet Candle, will beat hands down many other varieties
Runner Beans - Stenner
Tomatoes - Gold Star (great taster) Cedrico (Not so great taster)
French dwarf - Prince
Onions - Toughball, Vento
Beetroot - Pablo
Peas -Show pefection
Cucumber - Carmen
White Potato - Winston (The worst tasting spud you'll ever eat)
Coloured Potato - Kestrel, Amour
Cauliflower - Cornell

Now these will beat most of their competitors, most of the time

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 21:31 »
Think I'll stick with varieties I know and love rather than give precious room to something that doesn't taste as good.  I doubt anyone at my local show could care less as it's a nice afternoon out and not a matter of pride or prestige.
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 22:03 »
Interesting list of varieties there Carrot Man.  I've never heard of most of them - just goes to demonstrate that taste and show image often don't coincide!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Carrot Man

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 22:11 »
Interesting list of varieties there Carrot Man.  I've never heard of most of them - just goes to demonstrate that taste and show image often don't coincide!

No you are correct, they often don't
On my allotment, I have space for eating stuff and space for show stuff
Many of the varieties are ok for both but some aren't
It's not for everyone and each to their own
Their is no right way just different way
Ace Ice has said, most people at local show level aren't that interested and show for the participation which there is nothing wrong with that.

Stenner is derived from Enorma and so is an excellent tasting runner bean
Goldstar is one of the best tasting tomatoes
Sweet Candle is ok to taste but as it's name, is very sweet so I believe and acquired taste

At local show level, if you used a quality seed and the right varieties, you will do reasonably well against standard varieties

Some people at local level are extremely competitive and it can get more spiteful than at National level

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 22:23 »
thanks for the advice everyone, i live on a small island were i dont think many people enter as there is a minimal amout of allotments about 20,i will go this year with what ever looks and hopefully tastes good and see how i go. thought i woud just try as a laugh really and something to do.  :D

xx
What should I show on?

Started by gardenreg on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 19:24
by gardenreg
clip
First Show

Started by Mr Dog on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 12:56
by Pauly1958
xx
My first show!!

Started by Cheshire Phill on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:04
by muckyboots
xx
show veggies

Started by Mash Mad on The Show Bench

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 09:06
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.