Calcivet

• 11 Replies

Chuckles

Calcivet
« on: April 01, 2009, 19:45 »
I'm thinking about adding Calcivet - liquid calcium to my chucks water...just for some extra calcium.  Any suggestions on the best place to get it from and also any ideas on what the doseage is and how often is recommended that I use it.  :)

raeburg

Re: Calcivet
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 19:38 »
I got mine from  a shop that sells stuff for pigeon fanciers as well as pet foods.

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29 »
I think they sell it on ebay...?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35 »
Unless your chickens are laying soft eggs then they really don't need liquid calcium !  Make sure they have plenty of crused oyster shell available and that should be enough.

Birds can get kidney problems if consuming too much calcium !

Chuckles

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:59 »
Thanks for the warning about too much calcium...never gave that a thought!!!  Ive only got one, my little silkie Flo who's laying soft shelled eggs.  The others are all laying really good hard shelled eggs...so I really don't want to overdo the calcium intake for the others.

The problem with Flo is that she's a very picky eater...she won't touch layers pellets so I've changed to layers mash which she is having a pick at (the others seem to prefer the mash too!).  They've all got access to crushed oyster shell but she doesn't entertain it.  I was just trying to think of how to get Flo to have the calcium she needs...she's a worrying little thing!  :(

Really don't want to separate her from the others, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........

Thanks all......

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 17:11 »
Can you just give her one feed a day separated from the others (late afternoon would be better as calcium in the diet at that time of day goes straight to the egg shell) ?

Some mash with live yogurt is popular and contains phosphorus as, well as calcium, which is needed for calcium absorption.  You could add a little baked and crushed egg shell to it or a little calcivit.

Try a little square of bread with a single drop of cod liver oil once or twice a week for extra vitamin D3. 

There are some very detailed information articles on the poultry site but they can be a bit mind boggling  :ohmy:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1003/factors-influencing-shell-quality

Chuckles

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 21:49 »
Thank you so much for the advice and tips Aunt Sally  :)  I was running out of ideas on how to get her to eat a little more!  I've actually had her separated this afternoon for a little while (the others didn't even notice they were far too busy having their afternoon corn!!!!) and I mixed some mash with a liitle bit of corn and some crushed egg shells - RESULT!!!!  :)  :)  She bypassed most of the mash and corn but the egg shell soon disappeared!  :)  :)

Looks like I've got a new afternoon routine...but she's so worth it!!!!  ::)  Going to give the mash mixed with live yoghurt a go tomorrow and I'll start with the bread + cod liver oil....every little helps!!!

Would the others benefit from the cod liver oil.....or will they be getting all they need from their feed???

Your not kidding - mind boggling info!!! - but the  bits I understood were very interesting... thanks again!  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 21:54 »
A drop of cod liver oil each week will be good for them.  Vitamin D is made by sunlight in the oil on the chooks feather and they preen it off so this time of year after a dreary winter they may be a bit low in vit D so a little extra is good for them all.

Chuckles

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 19:46 »
Thanks again Aunt Sally!!!!  I'll be giving the others their cod liver oil tomorrow, doubt they'll be any complaints!!!

Another result today....she absolutely loved the mash mixed with live yoghurt - I've never seen her eat so much....it was lovely, nearly brought a tear to my eye!!!  :) :) :) :)  And she certainly didn't turn her little beak up at the cod liver oil on the bread!!!!  That's a weekly must!

She'll be off to bed shortly with a full crop for a change!!!

Thanks again!  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 20:16 »
Lovely  :D

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 20:18 »
Hi Chuckles , I save my clean eggshells till i have enough for a crush and blitz session with the electric coffee grinder. Its easy to mix in with their food scraps if they start to lay thin shells.

Chuckles

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 18:45 »
I've been saving my egg shells for use in the garden....keep the slugs at bay!!!  So at least I'll have them on hand if the need arises!!!!  Thanks for the tip!

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 39 queries.