Seed treats

• 6 Replies

PJM

Seed treats
« on: October 10, 2007, 17:36 »
Hello all, are the seed treats that pet shops sell for parrots etc, any good as a treat or anti boredom toy for chickens, I thought a couple hung around the run might help moivate them while I am at work?, Regards Pete

Bodger

Seed treats
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 17:38 »
I throw apples in with mine

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Seed treats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 17:40 »
Tey would demolish parrot treats in a matter of seconds  :shock:

The Domestic fowl trust sell pekka blocks which are made from the types of seeds chooks eat.  They are quite hard and will take a lot of pecking.

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/sundries1.html

Bodger

Seed treats
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 19:33 »
I knew a serious breeder of chickens who won just about everything that there was going just a bout every year.
He had a nice set up and the birds had the shade of beautiful damson trees.
I went to his place one day to find the trees gone. When I asked him why he told me that the trees had been chopped down because his growing chickens had been eating the dropped fruits at the expense of the more growth encouraging grains that he fed them. My flabber was gasted ! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

muntjac

Seed treats
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 20:07 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I knew a serious breeder of chickens who won just about everything that there was going just a bout every year.
He had a nice set up and the birds had the shade of beautiful damson trees.
I went to his place one day to find the trees gone. When I asked him why he told me that the trees had been chopped down because his growing chickens had been eating the dropped fruits at the expense of the more growth encouraging grains that he fed them. My flabber was gasted ! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

a serios daft wassuck ,

had a chap on the estate who had his chickens roam among the winter barns grabbing up flies .seeds from grass and all that stuff .his birds layed i swear the most vivid orange eggs i ever saw  the flies where kept down  rats and mice stayed quiet .the cows didnt bother the chickens and vice versa everything was loverly . he was orderd by the estate to section wire the whole side facing the barns as the cowman has complained he was walking ,, wait for it ..... in chicken * and he though that it could spread disease , so simon did as asked  and his eggs went off colour within a month .and the flies and smell increased from the barns . and the cows looked i am sure for the chickens noticing they was missing  and then the bse hit and the estate had 2000 sheep culked and the milk cows ... and yes you guessed it not one animal was ill or had any signs
still alive /............

mambo

Re: Seed treats
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 07:18 »
Quote from: "PJM"
Hello all, are the seed treats that pet shops sell for parrots etc, any good as a treat or anti boredom toy for chickens, I thought a couple hung around the run might help moivate them while I am at work?, Regards Pete

Hi Pete

I have a high, enclosed run and often hang a past it lettuce from the top and the chicks have great fun pecking and chasing it as it swings   around, but their favourite is whole fresh corn on the cob, which keeps them happy for hours-plus they are very cheap at the moment-19p from the local Lydl supermarket!

PJM

Seed treats
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:42 »
Thanks all, will deffo try corn cobs and greens, and some of those special chicken peckers, Aunt Sally reccomends. Am off work for a few weeks now, and the chooks finally arrive on Tuesday yippee, so hopefully when I go back they will be settled, happy little chooks.

xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911
xx
Treats

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 20:33
by Newbie
xx
Treats, treats and more treats

Started by Beano on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 11:33
by Arnfields
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 33 queries.