Not a beekeeper any more :(

• 6 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Not a beekeeper any more :(
« on: February 12, 2012, 17:00 »
They all died of starvation :(

Unfortunately, last year seems to have been such a good one for swarms that there weren't enough bees left to keep the colony warm enough through winter.  I'd have united them with another colony but I only had one.

The colony built up very fast in the early season due to the strong nectar flow and once they decide to swarm it's near impossible to stop them from going and the colony was depleted to such an extent that there weren't enough bees left to stay warm through the winter.

The winter cluster couldn't keep the inside of the hive warm enough for them to break off and just travel to the next frame which was full of stores so they starved (characterised by them dead with their heads and bodies in honey cells). 

Hefting the hive didn't help because they had enough stores to survive by, but with there being too few bees to allow them to move around inside more freely meant that they only kept to two or 3 frames.

Next year I'll know to look out for there being fewer wax cappings on the removable varroa floor and any that there are being on one side of the hive and not the other which could indicate that they aren't uniformly spread throughout the hive. 

Ever the optimist; at least I still have the equipment and 2 full seasons of experience, and some other beekeeping friends of mine are very likely to need to split their hive as part of their own swarm control this year so I'll have more again before the spring is out, it's just disappointing that I couldn't see this lot through their second winter.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Not a beekeeper any more :(
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 17:26 »
thats so sad, sorry you lost them  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 19:09 »
Oh that is so sad.I'm looking into keeping bees. I had no idea that that sort of thing could happen.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 20:12 »
Thanks guys.

yes, it's just one of the things that can happen snowdrops; there's all sorts of diseases and maladies that can happen and probably at least one of them will happen to all beekeepers at one time or another.

Good luck with getting some for yourself though; there are some steps that can be taken to stop the bees from starving in winter I just missed the signs and that was through inexperience, but experience is just another word for having made mistakes and learning from them.

It's a shame for my bees, but they were doomed back in the summer last year to be honest because having swarmed to the extent that they did they left themselves too short and no amount of pre winter feeding with syrup (which I did) and emergency feed with royal icing (which I did) could save them.

I started this post not to get sympathy but so that others can learn from my mistakes because it's the bees that will suffer more than you will:  take better steps than I did to prevent swarming (you'll learn about this if you join your local Beekeepers Association) and make sure they don't go into winter without enough stores (again, you'll learn about this if you get onto the beginners course that your association will probably run and I thoroughly recommend that you try your best to take the course - it'll pay dividends if you have that knowledge before you take your bees on :)  )

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 23:18 »
I'm so sorry to hear about your bees. I am worrying about mine too as they are all on one side of the hive (was a big colony and didn't swarm). I checked them the last bit of good weather we had and they had plenty of stores above them so I am just hoping they are strong enough to get through the year.
Next week is meant to be pretty mild so I'm hoping that they will be able to move round the hive if they need to to get to the rest of their copious stores. Isolation starvation does still really worry me but know they have some above them so they should be ok. I think I worry about them more as I am having to live away from home at the moment so I can't check on them as often as I would like.

Thanks for the warning and good luck for next year. As you say, at least you are set up to start early with the kit and 2 years experience.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 13:12 »
Thanks Kate,

They do say that a colony in its first year is less likely to swarm, but if you have the same queen the following year that they will begin making swarming plans.

It is for this reason that a lot of beekeepers re-queen every year to stop the queen from getting itchy feet and deciding it's time to leave!

Occasionally queens raised by a colony to replace a ready-to-swarm queen display quite swarmy tendancies themselves, so it is also said that if you do catch a swarm, let her lay some new workers and then cull her, let the bees raise an emergency queen or two and the new queen should be more placid.  I didn't try this myself, but I'll be trying it this year, I can tell you ::)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 16:06 »
I have a friend who keeps bees (for 25 years now) and she's had this happen for the last four years. She's experienced enough and has access to professional beekeepers for info, but the bees still leave despite new queens every year. No one has an answer for her. In the past she used to just put on another super so they could spread out but now that doesn't work anymore. It's very possible the queen has mated with another variety, one that has swarming in its genetic makeup.

I know that doesn't help you much, but to let you know you're not alone in this problem.

xx
beekeeper on board

Started by beesontoast on Pets without Feathers

68 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 21:40
by MontyTom
xx
A question about bees by a non-beekeeper

Started by Lulu on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:28
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.