Chainsaw safety

• 14 Replies

Teabag

Chainsaw safety
« on: January 23, 2009, 20:38 »
I use chainsaws in my job as a forester/tree surgeon.Please any of you out there that wish to use a saw on the allotment use protective clothing and footwear,i saw the results of an amateur user without either today,horrendous injuries to foot and legs, even better do not use them unless you really have to.

Ice

• muck spreader
Chainsaw safety
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 20:50 »
Sound advice Teabag.  It's easy to underestimate the danger of using power tools incorrectly.
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chainsaw safety
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 21:02 »
Any recommendations on what to look for Teabag ? I use a lekky one regularly, and could probably do with upping my protection.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Teabag

Chainsaw safety
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 21:04 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Any recommendations on what to look for Teabag ? I use a lekky one regularly, and could probably do with upping my protection.

well full protective trousers,boots and helmet richy,most good garden tool places will give you good advice

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chainsaw safety
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 21:16 »
It's ok, I'll have to go look see. But I was just looking at flea-bay for some trousers and they all quoting class whatever and a chain speed.

Teabag

Chainsaw safety
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 23:06 »
sorry richy was away fro p.c,i honestly cant remember what class trousers i wear ,but i would go for the best stuff available.Husqvarna and stihll do really god quality clothing

Gwiz

Chainsaw safety
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11 »
A very timely reminder, Teabag. At this time of year, and perhaps with more people using saws to provide some extra heat in their homes due to the cost of electricity/gas, it's very important to make sure we use the correct personal protective equipment (PPE)
when taking my chainsaw certificates, part of the course was to look at photos of some of the injuries after the 1987 hurricane.
Yuk....... :shock:
and for that reason alone, I always use the correct PPE when sawing wood at home...... :shock:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Chainsaw safety
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:16 »
On my gardening course we were shown a pair of protective trousers that were being worn when the chainsaw slipped.  They did the job they were intended for ... but won't be usable again  :shock:

Can't say I'm ever likely to use powered machinery but I'll never forget that image.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shaun

Chainsaw safety
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 15:07 »
just a quick one of me,I have worked on 1000000s of building sites and chemical plants ,factorys etc so you can imagine the amount of safety inductions that i have sat through,but one always sticks in my head,it was on a shell site,and the safety rep produced some rather graphic pics of this poor chap with half his face missing.he was using a 9" grinder on some metal pipe,wearing all his PPE as he should,but the nylon toggles from his hood on his coat were dangling down and came into contact with the grinder,i think you can imgine what happened,so a lot of sites now insist that the nylon toggle pull cords from clothing are removed.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
Chainsaw safety
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39 »
I was sent on chainsaw course about 5/6 years ago. Brilliant course. But have never used one since, scared the living daylights out of me at the time, using it. I think it was what could happen if it all goes wrong.

It's abit like that with routers as well, I will use them but by gum am I extra careful!
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

BIG ZOOK

Re: Chainsaw safety
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 20:29 »
I use chainsaws in my job as a forester/tree surgeon.Please any of you out there that wish to use a saw on the allotment use protective clothing and footwear,i saw the results of an amateur user without either today,horrendous injuries to foot and legs, even better do not use them unless you really have to.
AGREED :( from this end .I`m a professional  tree surgeon with the local council . whilst a 5 day basic chainsaw course (may give you the basics) .twenty yrs later ,difficult surgery work still makes me sit back and think 4 a while.I have seen some terrible chainsaw injuries from loosing a foot ,an arm below the elbow and a death with a massive facial trauma , all trained people with the reccommend hse PPE.

Diy-king

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40 »
I have used a lot of machinery in my time, from chain saws to ride on mowers and I have always had a healthy respect for every single one. Being trained in risk assessment and seeing some of the stupid things people do to cut corners make me always assess the risk before starting any job with any equipment.
This I think has kept me safe all these years (some 40 years working).
Have respect for but above all don’t be scared of any equipment you use as this can cause injury.
If it brakes get out the hammer
if that does'nt work get a bigger hammer

MulesMarinair

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 18:38 »
I was on the verge of buying an extension for my ryobi hedge trimmer / expandit - the one with the 10 inch chainsaw blade on the end of the pole, so it is a fair distance from you.
It was in Dobbies, and I'd seen something on telly saying, its a safe distance from you so there's added safety yah-de-yah-da-yada.
Store was about to close, this man and his wife walk past and he picks up a nearby chainsaw and starts check it out.
Turns to me to chat, looking at what I was sizing up and talked me through (in a thick Fife/Scots accent) all the safety aspects of a chainsaw, -chain snapping, proper chainmail glove, boots, the dangers of working with the blade and the chainsaw held up high, chances of hitting a knot and the saw jumping, unbalancing you, hitting your face, leg etc...

said the problem with somewhere like Dobbies is that they mightn't check that you can use it, talk through its features.  You could just walk up to the check out, pay for it and away you go, none-the-wiser of any of the risks.

He then brought me over to the bow-saws just to show me them and talk me through them, its shaped, if it does actually jump that the bar will hit your face before the blade does, how easy it is to sharpen them....

and then said, "Twelve quid for that... dinnae buy it here, go 'way to yer iron mongers an' person one there at half the price.   There good exercise too by the way..."

I got a bow-saw.

I thought that I needed a chainsaw (I was clearing a large overgrown plot with rampant elder and neglected trees in it etc).   I didn't.  Bow-saw did the trick with a bit of elbow grease.
I'd like to meet the guy again and thank him.

"I have a room for life at the Home of the Chronically Groovy"
- Sgt. Floyd Pepper, The Hippest of the Hip,
Bass Guitarist, Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 06:13 »
Like the OP im in tree surgery aswell, I watch over our contractors and the other day one turned up in a cut boot and the kevlar was hanging out of his trousers where he had caught it and to make things worse he pulled at the chain while the saw was running.(chainbreak was on but hey) HMMMMMM a few strong words were had and told them they wont be on site again this is there last.   
Thanks
Kris

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:07 »
When I worked for H. M. Forestry Commission it was before chainsaws were commonly available and we used Bow saws for felling up to 12" diameter tree trunks. over that they used used Cross Cut saws or the latter part of the time, the new Chainsaws. As I was a nursery worker I didn't get to use a Chainsaw.

If you are cutting logs and want make sure the logs don't slip, use this :- http://erowell.co.uk/Gardening/Firewood.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:13 by Larkshall »

clip
Flymo DM safety earth problrm

Started by topconker on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2020, 12:09
by topconker
xx
Which chainsaw

Started by jimbeekeeper on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 22:59
by Vit
xx
Chainsaw Tips.

Started by MickyB on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:47
by Swed
thumbup
Electric chainsaw

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 20:16
by greenjay

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 28 queries.