feed!

• 20 Replies

miller15

feed!
« on: February 04, 2009, 16:16 »
what feed is best for the chickens?
i have read that you should feed them a compound mix in the morning and some sort of grain, is that right and what brands do u recomend?

thanks

poultrygeist

Re: feed!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 19:05 »
Hi Miller15 and welcome  :D

Most people buy layer's pellets or layer's mash. Ready formulated with all the trace elements, etc. and you can fill your feeder every day and leave them to it.

Just feed some mixed grain, greens, few carefully selected leftovers in the late afternoon.

Unless you want to do your own mix, in which case someone else may be able to give you a suitable mix. :)

ROb 8)

miller15

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 22:06 »
where do you get layers pellets from? and what would other foods such as broad flake bran, crushed bruised oats, cut maise, wheat- whole grain etc replace( they are sold in a local agricentre)?

thanks

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 22:12 »
You have to be careful what you feed them because of the obvious protein, vits and mineral requrements but also because they can easily get overweight or suffer kidney damage, etc.
Layers pellets are normally available from feed merchants, horse supply shops or dedicated poultry suppliers.
Whereabouts are you ?
If you want to put your location in your profile, it makes it easier to tailor advice. :)

Rob 8)

miller15

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 22:19 »
calne, wiltshire. those products were all under the poultry foods so i wondered if they were ok. they sell the food but i dont know if it is the rights stuff, are the layers pellets made by layers or a diferent company? and info. on food will be helpful

thanks

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 22:27 »
 :D Used to live in Calne  :D

The layers pellets are called that because they're designed for layign hens. You can also get growers pellets and chick crumbs, as well as the equivalent for ducks, geese, etc.

I've just had a look on yell.com and there's a couple of places on this page. You could try ringing to see if they do pellets.
Are you sorted for all the other bits and bobs or would you like some advice on what most people find useful ??

Rob 8)

miller15

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 22:33 »
yes please anything would be helpful as i am using the time before i get them to ensure i have every thing.
e.g.
-run
-chicken safety (foxes)
-daily routines
......... well everything really, i know a fair bit e.g. daily routines, cleaning out as i have read the book of this site 'starting with  chickens'

thanks

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 22:44 »
You've made a good start by reading that. Another good link is the fox-proofing sticky HERE.

Coops can be anything from a homemade box to a large shed. Minimum DEFRA area is 1 sq ft per bird but in practice, twice this and more is better and if you can get a small walk-in shed for a few birds, you'll be better off in foul (no pun!) weather.

The run needs to be DEFRA minimum 1 sq metre per bird but again at least twice this and preferably free ranging if you can. I know there's plenty of foxes in Calne because I've seen one trotting down the road in the early hours ! :)

You can buy electric fecning for chickens, from 50metres upwards. The cost is generally about £180+.

Feeders can be plastic for a few pounds or galvanised for longer use. They need to be kept out of the rain, under or in the coop or under a small shelter. They eat abotu 80-150g of feed per day depending on breed.
Drinkers similar. You need about 0.5 litre/bird-ish and should be changed every day.

would you want to make your own coop/run or buy purpose built ???

And how many hens would you like ??

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 22:51 »
Just done some googling and there's John Toomer's in Wroughton. They may do a range of feeds.
There's also a COUNTRYWIDE store at Melksham. They do a large range of poultry stuff according to their website.

Rob

miller15

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:23 »
me and my dad are hoping to make our own one, and i want to start with around 5 and when i am used to it i may try and get up to 10. and how mang g's of pellets should i feed per bird a day?

thanks

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:35 »
Hi Miller what I do and most of the guys here is put feed out all day. Chickens do not gorge themselves on food like dogs.  They will eat when they are hungry.  Oh I am talking about layer pellets or Mash.  Do not put split corn out permanently or they will!!!
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12 »
To cater for future needs, 10 hens would need something like THIS to last a full day or so.
As Roughlee says, the norm is to fill it and leave them to it.

There's lots of photos on the forum (Chicken Chat or Hen House) and discussion about DIY hen houses and runs so you can pick up some good ideas.
Roughlee is rebuilding his run with photos if you want to see how to make a Rolls-Royce version. The secret is to use the best materials you can afford and take your time building. And of course, post photos as you go so we can all tell you how clever you are !! ;)

Rob 8)

miller15

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:25 »
ok thanks, should i get one for inside the coop? how much grain should i feed in the afternoon?

thanks

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32 »
My feeder hangs underneath the coop, which is raised on legs about 18". If the shed is big enough, you can put it inside or build a small shelter outside to keep it under.

Lots of options and no 'best' way of doing things. have a look round for previous opinions and see if you can find a few ideas you like. But feel free to keep asking.

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 09:33 »
Oh, and just a small handful each of mixed corn. We have a small mug which we use for our 6. They know exactly what the mug means !!  :D

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
Feed

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 21:57
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 28 queries.