Anyone got an AGA/Rayburn?

• 10 Replies

Scribbler

« on: December 28, 2007, 15:56 »
Contadino's post about the wood fired stove prompted this. I used to think an AGA would be great, but who needs it on in the summer? Great for Mary Berry cakes or new born lambs, but perhaps not very practical?
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 16:00 »
Not sure why I am owning-up after you'd posted your feelings about them ... yes, we have an Aga and it is my favourite item in the house (after Mrs G, of course)

mashauk

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 16:08 »
I'd love one, and would also love a house big enough to put one in come to think of it!

Selkie

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 16:14 »
When we moved in here there was a geriatric Stanley range in the kitchen but it was literally falling apart and unsafe to use; we now have a Stanley stove there instead, which has a hotplate on the top.

dawninspain

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 17:27 »
Is that what you cook on Rose or do you have an ordinary cooker as well?

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 18:05 »
We have an ordinary gas cooker aswell but I'm getting in the habit of cooking on the stove's hotplate instead of using the rings on the cooker.

David.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 19:28 »
When I lived here:

I had an Aga, pantry nearly the size of my current kitchen, kitchen table the size of my current kitchen, and no neighbours within 1/2 mile.

But that was renting, and now we own our home outright, so have a 'virtual smallholding' - 1/2 acre of allotments, the hedgerows, hens in the garden, windfall apples from other people''s orchards, etc.

I miss sitting round that table in shorts & T shirt in the middle of winter, next to the Aga blasting out heat from elm logs cut from the hedgerows & spinneys.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 19:36 »
Ours is oil-fired and they are very well insulated.   It keeps our large kitchen very comfortably warm for about 8 months of the year.  Too warm for about 1 month & we need supplementary heating for about 3 months.

We have no other cooker apart from a wee microwave.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 20:09 »
We (but i suspect mainly I) are thinking of getting an Everhot 60 which is an Electric cast iron heat storage oven but 600mm wide and has an integral grill. Maybe. It would cost more than the kitchen budget though so hubby may need more persuading but I think it's a good investment.

Jaye

Bodger

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 16:23 »
We wouldn't be without our rayburn for anything :D

Norfolkbird

• Location: North Norfolk coast for preference, London for work
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 16:56 »
we've got an AGA.  I was going to have it taken out when we first moved here, but was persuaded to leave it until we had the new kitchen put in.  I'm realy glad I left it in because I love it-  food cooked in it is fantasic - roast meat tastes incredible - no idea why, and things like stews or tagines or what-have-you are superb - stick them in the bottom oven and leave them there for as long as you want - lovely!  Our one is a converted gas one - not sure what it was converted from - I'm guessing solid fuel, but not sure.  In summer, we just turn it off and use the gas hob/electric cooker.Best of both worlds!

xx
Rayburn, Aga et al...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 17:47
by jambop

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.