Mantis Tiller

• 17 Replies

Knee Deep

Mantis Tiller
« on: March 16, 2012, 23:34 »
Got my Mantis tiller today yippee! Put it together and took it to the plot for a test run,ended up tilling two 8 by 8 plots in about 30mins.I didnt think it would be that easy!
The ground had been dug over last year but was clumpy and a bit weedy.No problem for the Mantis as long as you take your time and dont force it,just let it do its thing.Mines a 4 stroke and very quiet and very torquey.Im very impressed so far and great service from Mantis UK.

digger1

• Experienced Member
Re: Mantis Tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:22 »
I bought a mantis last year does a good job of breaking down the soil

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 17:07 »
I had one for Christmas and it is a brilliant piece of kit!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

jimpojimpo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 21:55 »
hello complete newbie to the site.

i got my allotment start of december.

question for you guys?

I've got a mantis tiller i tried to use it last week and just can't get used to it. all the soil seems to come towards me i end up with all the dirt at the end of the plot it doesn't go very deep either. i know i doing something wrong. is there a method to it. I'm quite a practically minded but just can't get on with it. >:(

any help and no mickey taking would be most appreciated.

thanks very much

jimpo
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:19 by Gwiz »

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:25 »
I've not used a mantis for sometime but I seem to remember that dragging it backwards helped, well, it does on my mantis equivalent Ryobi tiller.
I'm pretty sure someone who has one will pop along shortly to deny or confirm...... :)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 14:25 »
hello complete newbie to the site.

i got my allotment start of december.

question for you guys?

I've got a mantis tiller i tried to use it last week and just can't get used to it. all the soil seems to come towards me i end up with all the dirt at the end of the plot it doesn't go very deep either. i know i doing something wrong. is there a method to it. I'm quite a practically minded but just can't get on with it. >:(

any help and no mickey taking would be most appreciated.

thanks very much

jimpo
It's too light, you can not go in one pass, will take 3 or 4.

jimpojimpo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 14:44 »
Thanks for the advice will try again tomorrow

Babycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 20:58 »
Just got a new little plot myself and have 5 beds each 5mx2m - took my mantis down today and wasnt sure whether to set it on dig or leave on cultivate,  left it and it did the job a treat.  So pleased with it.  It jumps a little if you have large hard clumps but I just find it so easy to use.

Glad you are pleased with yours too :-)

"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

Knee Deep

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08 »
JimpoJimpo, You will get soil piled up as you pull it towards you, what I do is change direction once ive completed the plot.You`ll find it will dig deeper on the next run and take your time. You could then swap the blades around and the soil will be even finer.Still a lot less effort than using a spade,Works for me any way.Have fun. 8) 

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 20:54 »
I realise this is a thread from earlier this year, but I've just got a second hand mantis and wanted to ask what a couple of you meant by a couple of things:

Knee deep - you mention that you can swap the blades around to make the soil even finer - can you tell me more about what you mean by this?

Baby Cat - you mention leaving it on dig, or on cultivate.  Are there more settings to these things?  How do you choose these settings?

Obviously if anyone else can tell me that would be great too!

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 17:24 »
This website should take you to the manual for mantis tillers look on page 13 it will show which way round the blade go hope this helps

http://mantis.uk.com/global/assets/owners_manuals/tillers/401739_4S_Tiller_UKFRGER.pdf

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 19:40 »
Thanks digger1. I assume that's the answer to both of my questions?

Babycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 21:50 »
Basically,  you can turn the blades inwards or outwards.  To be honest,  I leave them the same and get a great result.  love my mantis and use it for digging in manure/compost

BobE

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 23:19 »
I find the Mantis is excellent if the ground is dug first, just once.  The Mantis will then till the soil and it does a brilliant job.  I run over the entire plot early in the year.  Then for each planting row I till once backwards and then again forwards.  Using a rake to reform the bed.  As I plant I take a stone bucket and a weed bucket.  I collect as many stones and weeds as I can.  At the end of the season I go over the entire plot once again.  Adding manure.  Next year is a repeat, no more digging and a lot less pain.  A wonderful tool. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 23:30 »
You do need to be a little careful: with repeated use of a tiller or other rotavator, you risk creating a 'pan' - i.e. hard layer just beneath the depth of the tines - which prevents drainage and sometimes roots getting through.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Mantis Tiller

Started by mikeimp on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 05:48
by Growster...
xx
mantis tiller

Started by big green bloke on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:51
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 36 queries.