help my chicken just died

• 5 Replies

funny farm

help my chicken just died
« on: December 16, 2009, 18:37 »
can anybody help me please
i have just wormed all my flock and as i was worming my beautiful gold laced orp hen she died
she firstly went all floppy and couldn't hold her head up then she seemed to jerk and flap her wings a few times then she just laid there so i have put her in a box with some hay and my neighbour who has had chickens forever listened to her and said there was a feint heartbeat so she is in her box and i am waiting for my neighbour to come in and say she has died.
I am soooooooo upset. I cannot believe how upset i am. My darling Gertie sob sob!!!
Can anybody help me understand what may have been wrong with her?

The reason i wormed them all (flubenvet made into a solution with a little water then administered orally and i gave Gertie 1.5ml ad she was a big bird being an orpington) was because gertie sounded a bit phlegmy and was rattling a little bit.

BUT when i picked up Gertie to worm her She had frothy phlegm coming out of her beak and had been sneezing and coughing for the last day or so. I just put it down to her being in moult and maybe a bit of gape worm (i have had this problem before and resolved it without any loss)

so i guess i am asking what is the frothy phlegm and the coughing and sneezing mean what could have been wrong with her,,, I have 22 chickens now of all shapes and sizes and all ages from 12 weeks to 8 months old.....opingtons, marans, cream legbars, exchequer leghorns, welsummers, light sussex and 4 ex batts and one unknown but i think she is a RIRxNew hampshire.
I want to take all possible precautionary measures that i can to prevent this happening to any more of my babies..
so any help would be gratefully received..
Many thanks in advance
A very sad day for me
paul mccarthy

Elcie

Re: help my chicken just died
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 18:55 »
I am really sorry as I can't help you I am afraid but I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss and thinking of you x

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 19:06 »
Oh Paul.  That's so sad.  Your poor girl.  I'm sorry I can't help either but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 20:59 »
it seems to be she could  of had a respiratory probelm , coughing an wheezing etc can be syptoms of malcoplasma as well as other illness antiboitics from the vet is normally the best way to treat these probelms .

am sorry for you losing your girl though  :(
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

funny farm

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 23:49 »
thankyou to you all for your kind words and thoughts you are all very kind thankyou
sincerely
paul
Gertie2.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 17:28 »
Keep an eye on your other birds.  Any sign of a cough or sneeze and get the vet to prescribe for all of them.

xx
chicken died

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 16:56
by ste23
xx
My chicken died

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 20:23
by HENrietta
xx
My chicken died and is only 2 years old?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2016, 09:18
by Sassy
xx
Chicken died....should I be worried about the others?

Started by utigers on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 16:46
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 28 queries.