Using Aubiose (hemp core)

• 10 Replies

camelliagirl

Using Aubiose (hemp core)
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:53 »
Could do with some advice on clean out times when using Aubiose.   

I am using it and it seems great - only downside is that it sticks to my shoes and ends up in our house so I have to vacuum more but small price to pay.

I poo pick every day and the coop doesn't seem to get that soiled.  Would I be ok giving it a good clean out once a month rather than once a week.  I only have 3 hens.  It seems a waste to throw out clean material but I do want to make sure they stay healthy.  I use straw in nestbox though.

Any thoughts?

evie2

Re: Using Aubiose (hemp core)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07 »
Sorry don't know the answer to how often the coop will need cleaning but you can put the hempcore on the compost bin if you have one :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08 »
I use it for coop and nesting box - great stuff - I clean out once a week or fortnight but don;t replace all the material then but sweep to one side, scrub, clean, leave to dry then mite powder and do the other side. Probbaly replace all aubiose once every couple of months. Mine all seem healthy.

Curlytop

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 13:19 »
I am also using Aubiose; my coop is converted Wendy House. I poo pick the trays every morning adding an extra handful of Aubiose mid week as some gets removed when poo picking, once a week I remove and clean trays and the nest boxes, which I fill with a handful of Aubiose and then shredded paper on top. At the end of the month I completely clean out the whole coop top to bottom with poultry shield.

It seems to be working well and things stay fairly fresh and clean but as you say it can get stuck to the bottom of your shoes especially when wet.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 18:41 »
we use hemcore in the coop and nest boxes, and just poo pick the coop every day, spray with virkon s, a liquid disinfectant weekly, and clean the whole lot out once a month, i put a lot in after it is cleaned out, then over the month it just gets taken out bit by bit as i poo pick.

the run is a covered run, and i use easuibed, another horse bedding, but it is easier in the run than hemcore, same thing, but i rake it towards the gate and put the fresh in at the back of the run.virkoned once a week, poo picked daily ( mostly)

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 20:18 »
How do you virkon your run?
Alan

camelliagirl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 21:08 »
thanks all for your replies - looks like I am probably doing things about right

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41 »
use a garden sprayer, mix the virkon in the sprayer and then do the coop and run.

i use virkon as being a liquid is does its job and evaporates, does not stay in the coop as a powder, which can house disease. i do use stalosan in the run as well occasionally.

Click that

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 18:36 »
I appreciate this post hasn't been active for quite a while, but I'm hoping someone will pick it up and provide an answer to the following.......
I have just taken delivery of my first bag of aubiose for use with my soon to arrive trio of Barbu d'Uccles.
From reading the blurb on the bag (which I appreciate mentions only horses) it says to wet down the aubiose.
Does one does this too when used for chickens?
I assume something like a fine mist houseplants sprayer could be used.
Here's hoping someone can advise me

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 22:20 »
I use Hemcore which I think is similar, and no I don't wet it.  The benefit is that's it's a dry clean layer in the coop. Makes poo picking a doddle because it will absorb and clump.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24 »
I have used Aubiose for horses. I think the reason to dampen is to stop dust and help it to 'bed' down.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 36 queries.