Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

DonnaM

Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2011, 21:40 »
Just to update.........the electric netting is good stuff, no more chickens gone and more importantly the fox has given up and stopped coming at least when we are around. Our cockerel is a brown leghorn and he jumped over it a few times but jumped back when the girls didnt follow and I now think he has had a shock from it as he has stopped doing it. He used to jump/flap/fly out actually touching the top as he went but didnt get a shock because he was not on the ground at the time so I think it took him a day or two to get a zap. I felt a bit mean though as one of the smaller chickens (maybe 6 weeks old) got zapped pecking at the beads on the joins of the netting - quite attractive to a chicken I should think they look like a black seed. Even though we trimmed his wings back he still did it but has now stopped.

Paul Plots

« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2011, 23:41 »
Just to update.........the electric netting is good stuff, no more chickens gone and more importantly the fox has given up and stopped coming at least when we are around. Our cockerel is a brown leghorn and he jumped over it a few times but jumped back when the girls didnt follow and I now think he has had a shock from it as he has stopped doing it. He used to jump/flap/fly out actually touching the top as he went but didnt get a shock because he was not on the ground at the time so I think it took him a day or two to get a zap. I felt a bit mean though as one of the smaller chickens (maybe 6 weeks old) got zapped pecking at the beads on the joins of the netting - quite attractive to a chicken I should think they look like a black seed. Even though we trimmed his wings back he still did it but has now stopped.

Pleased to hear the electric netting is working.

I know nothing about it (and little about chickens) ... Do animals with thick coats (such as foxes) actually receive a jolt from electric fencing? I suppose they must if it works effectively.  :unsure:

I'm not going to try it out.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

hillfooter

« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02 »

Pleased to hear the electric netting is working.

I know nothing about it (and little about chickens) ... Do animals with thick coats (such as foxes) actually receive a jolt from electric fencing? I suppose they must if it works effectively.  :unsure:

I'm not going to try it out.  :lol:
[/quote]

Foxes & dogs etc tend to explore with their nice wet noses and ...zap! they soon get the message.  Once this happens they stay clear.  The worst thing is if they learn that jumping them is safe which can happpen they become "educated" and don't develop the fear.  It's sometimes suggested a strip of bacon wraped round with a twist of copper wire which is also in contact with the net is a good idea.  I've never done this but it sounds a good idea where ther's an established fox problem.  Nets are actually better than solid fences which can be climbed and don't produce the fear deterent.

My daughters dog and our cat stay well clear of the poultry net now after having had a shock.

You need to remain diligent and keep the grass down and periodically check the net and change the battery if it is run from one.  Most cases I've heard where it has been claimed that they don't work is where the maintanence has been suspect or they've been inadvertently switched off.  Mine are operated off the auto pophole openers so the moment the pophole opens they are switched on and off at night when closed.  Never lost a chicken behind a net.
HF
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:05 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Paul Plots

« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2011, 10:07 »
I had a feeling it was noses at the forefront.  ;)

DonnaM

« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10 »
They dont need to touch with their nose at all. Our cat very 'shockingly' demonstrated this while I was showing someone the new net. Poor cat was chatting and mewing to us and 'stroked' her side along the fence as they do. Needless to say, she scarpered!
Ours is run off the mains unit we already had for the boundary fence so that is not a problem.
The man who sold it us was really really good with his advice. Apparently over there the foxes have all steered clear and no one has lost a chicken whilst the power has been on but seemingly the one night it is off for any reason the fox gets in with massive damage. We still shut ours in at night and let them out early because of this, we then have two prongs of defence as it were. One poor lady lost all her while she had house sitters in, they went in to collect the eggs and forgot to switch back on.
The other thing he said was really important was making sure the net was nowhere near anything that could be jumped on and off, even momentarily as this is how foxes can get in. The net is too high to pop over in one jump and too soft to allow them to bounce on and off.
The name of the place is 'paddock perfection' based in Todmorden, they have a website I think :)

Mossley

• Mossley's pics
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2011, 15:18 »
Well, it finally happened (inevitably?) at 4.30am last Tuesday. I lost 4 of my lovely hens. Of the remaining 4, 1 was injured and I thought she might not pull through. Thankfully, she's still with us, but is still on the mend.

Surprisingly, a few eggs have been laid since, but at nowhere near the same level. After a shock like this, how long do people think it might take them to get back into their stride, if at all?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2011, 15:30 »
it may take a couple of weeks  :(.
Sorry about losing your birds - I hope you have beefed up your protection as the fox will be back  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mossley

• Mossley's pics
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2011, 15:45 »
Thanks- yes, it's been (hopefully) sorted. Without going into too much detail, this particular fox won't be back, but there are plenty more out there.

Paul Plots

« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2011, 01:03 »
A notice displayed on our allotment site main gate yesterday stated that traps had been set to help control the fox nuisance. Anyone found tampering with the traps would immediately be asked to vacate their plot/s.

Foxes have caused considerable damage on many plots so I'm pleased to see our site wardens taking robust action. Some plot holders would prefer a softer appproach.  :wacko:

joyfull

« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2011, 04:50 »
are these live traps learner? who checks them - they should be checked a couple of times a day at least? and what will they do with any foxes caught?

Dominic

« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2011, 11:16 »
I think I had a near miss last night, dogs went absolutly ballistic against the patio doors, and by the time I got out, two of my chickens were hiding in the overgrown bits of the garden, a third was confused in the run.
I'd been a bit lax with it being summer, only really expecting an attack in winter.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2011, 23:33 »
My Birds have been in there new coop/run for about three day's and last night I had a visit from a cunning fox, well he thought he was until jud my dog got hold of him.

up to this I have never seen a fox or heard of one at my allotment. but the double netting run that I did worked well as I could see were it tried to get through but couldnt, but what suppried me was Jud was laid outside of the chicken run when i left so either the fox was dumb or jud was hiding while the last minute, when I got there this morning he was laid with the fox at his feet.

My birds were in the coop locked up and I dont think they heard anything as most of them had laid there eggs by the time I got there.

On the plus side a mate has given me a roll of 13' chainlink fence  so I'm going to extend there run with this as an extra defence. 

joyfull

« Reply #312 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10 »
glad your hens remained safe  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #313 on: August 02, 2011, 23:48 »
Hope you made a big fuss of Jud and a treat as a thank you.  Think we could all do with a guard dog like him.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

DonnaM

« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11 »
What a good dog you have there! What breed is he?
During this last winter I was stunned to see the fox tracks have gone right into my Cairn terriers run, presumably to take their meat and bones. Dogs really dont put them off unless they attack. Even when the Doberman barks he just trots by nonchalantly. Often he does not bark at them anymore as they are so plentiful around here.
Our neighbours are being really hassled by the fox, their chickens are being taken in the day like ours were. And a friend of mine a few miles away has lost the lot, chickens, geese, guinea fowl and some fancy chinese pheasants that cost a fortune.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 40 queries.