Nearly sweet corned and tomatoed out...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Nearly sweet corned and tomatoed out...
« on: September 05, 2018, 19:47 »
Just the two of us plus daughts, rels and chums...

Have to give much more away from now on; we're inundated and so lucky, so far, but things change so the freezer is full, and we need a regular pick-over most days.

Probably won't grow cucumbers next year, there aren't enough people in the village!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Nearly sweet corned and tomatoed out...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 20:02 »
Sounds like you could do with a good cook-up session with the tomatoes so you can have some lovely sauces to eat over the Winter, and sweetcorn relish is a good keeper, as are pickled cucumbers (dill makes them super special)

Good problem to have really Growster  :D :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 13:40 »
Show off! My sweetcorn were a real disappointment with one cob per plant and they weren't fully pollinated either. As for my toms, I have loads of flowers but only a few toms and they're not ripe.  :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 18:52 »
Show off! My sweetcorn were a real disappointment with one cob per plant and they weren't fully pollinated either. As for my toms, I have loads of flowers but only a few toms and they're not ripe.  :(

Actually, we only had one cob per plant here, and some of them were quite small, with blind ends to chop off! And we gave daught a couple on Saturday.

As for toms, it really is down to planting a lot (38) because if blight calls, we can at least have the benefit of some ripening early on, freeze them, then hope for the best!

Tomorrow it's the turn of two lovely friends just down the road, and I'll be delivereing a bag of toms to both... (electric bikes at dawn).

If you catch a No 89 bus, (or the 509), you could be down here in no time at all, and I'd willingly collect a hundred-weight for you to take home! You'd have to sample a few tinctures first though!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 18:54 »
Sunny, the cuces are Crystal Apple (or similar, and have a lot of seeds, so it's really one per serving!

As for toms, we have a drawer and a half full now, so will stop for fear of becoming addicted...

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 13:53 »
Thank you for your kind offer Mr G but duty calls re- washing, ironing, hoovering, cleaning, polishing, tidying, mopping, dusting, and watering indoor plants. I may be available tomorrow but I wouldn't count on it!  :wacko:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 18:26 »
Thank you for your kind offer Mr G but duty calls re- washing, ironing, hoovering, cleaning, polishing, tidying, mopping, dusting, and watering indoor plants. I may be available tomorrow but I wouldn't count on it!  :wacko:

All those chores are like 'washing my hair/smalls etc, and I won't be put off Goosey!

There's an enormous pile of toms here, just waiting for a gal like you, and I'm spurned!

SPURNED, I say!

If you're not here by tincture-time tomorrow, they're going to Nicola and Sue down the road - the latter always says 'come here you old person', and I'm squeezed out of my anorak...

See what you're missing?

;0)

xx
sweet onions

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 20:23
by Yorkie
xx
Sweet or Savoury?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 18:14
by wighty
xx
Saw something sweet today

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:53
by mumofstig
xx
Sweet corn skewers.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2023, 10:08
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.