The prolapsed Chicken

• 2 Replies

Glen helen

The prolapsed Chicken
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:58 »
The prolapsed story:
We spotted “Gurtie’s” prolapse on Saturday -6 days ago. Since then we have done the following:
Taken her away from the other girls & bob the cockerel.
We have kept her in a box for the majority of the day away from the light and fed her small amounts of corn along with the occasional boiled egg.
Bathed her twice a day and cleaned her up then applied honey and prep h to her prolapse. We did initially try to gently push the prolapse in, but see kept pushing this out again.
We have kept up this routine now for 6 days, but not really pushed the prolapse back in. It is not as bad as it was and i feel is slowly retracting....but still not quick enough for my liking.
She does have a hard piece of poo that is slowly coming away after soaking and until this is finally off then I will not push the prolapse back in, I feel that this being a hard scab will just make her push back out.
Can anybody offer any further advice on this....She is still very chirpy and is her usual self even when we are messing around with her vent.
I do have one concern on the anatomy of her: The egg vent is on the left and the poo hole is on the right is this correct?
Secondly when we do push the prolapse back in, how should we do this and how far and in which way should we do this......I have searched a lot of forums and there is not a clear indication on how to do this?. thanks

grinling

Re: The prolapsed Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 22:50 »
are you able to soak her end in warm water being very gentle with her so the poo is removed and then try pushing it back in with some vaseline.

splash101

Re: The prolapsed Chicken
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 23:18 »
we had a similar situation a few weeks back with a 6 week old chick (so no problem regarding egg laying)
At first the chick had pecked it which had made it bleed but it soon scabbed over. We washed it 2-3 times a day, blow dried it with the hairdryer and massaged it with germaloid cream which stopped the chick pecking as well.
It seemed to look less red and angry and the scab dropped off. We massaged the cream in and then popped it back in. After a certain point it seemed to go back into its rightful place.
After a few days of repeating it seemed to look worse than ever and i'm sure it was bigger, then it popped back in on its own and hasnt come out since. All happened within 8-9 days so keep persevering.
During this time the chick was fine in itself. To be honest in the early days i was ready to cull it but my daughter begged me to at least try to help it. It was living on borrowed time because the day it popped back in for good was the last day of the timescale i had given it.
i think your right about the hard piece of poo, once its off it should be easier to pop back in.

xx
Prolapsed egg

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 18:26
by ANHBUC
xx
will prolapsed hen lay again?

Started by jessicats mam on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 19:08
by joyfull
xx
prolapsed poultry

Started by Ched on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 20:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Prolapsed hen but now ok. Advice please

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 18:21
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.