Turning up old soil...

• 2 Replies

Growster...

Turning up old soil...
« on: July 08, 2020, 18:41 »
Last year, we dug over a piece of ground which hadn't been touched since we moved here in 1989.

I spent some time re-organising a water butt, and fiddled around with a new 'Clematis' and a few small plants, but we also got a fantastic show of some of the most beautiful poppies we've ever seen! We saved the seed, and now have two-hundred to plant out everywhere... (I can't find the pics yet, they're here somewhere...)!

This year, the same bit of ground (only a few square ft), has thrown upwards a gorgeous 'Evening Primrose', which is such a lovely plant to have, what with the height and the fragrance, and the brilliant yellow blooms!

But; there is a downside to all this sort of activity...

We had to take out our trusted apple trees last year, as they'd stopped producing, and had 'the hump'! I dug over the area (having left the stump/root to rot down - fingers crossed no fungus - and we planted the sweet peas around the stump.

Blimey! We now have a 'Thorn Apple', which is pretty nasty if the fruit matures! It looks quite nice where it is, but won't stay like that for long, I can assure you...

:0~

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Turning up old soil...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 22:52 »
Yes, the flowers and leaves look nice, we had them one year all over the plots - 'til we found out what they were  :ohmy: :ohmy: Luckily we haven't seen any since.
Good luck with getting rid of it before it seeds itself everywhere.

Growster...

Re: Turning up old soil...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 05:44 »
Thanks Mum, I should have hooked it out yesterday, hadn't thought about seeding, so the deed will be done a.s.a.p!

The poppy was a 'Persian Blue', and I can't get that image done either - odd chaps these plants...!

xx
Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)

Started by RichardY on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 12:08
by Growster...
xx
Leaves Turning Black

Started by KT on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 17:14
by fatcat1955
xx
Why are my Conifers Turning Brown

Started by nwalch on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 11:05
by Sideshoot
xx
Turning wildflowers into grass

Started by sheridal on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 20:13
by unaspenser

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 36 queries.