I can't be the only one.

• 8 Replies

Livinhope

I can't be the only one.
« on: June 25, 2010, 21:14 »
I'm almost embarassed to post this query.  I'm not very good with nutrients etc., my experience extends to bfb, sulphate of potash and growmore, and of course good old manure.  We are always hearing about nitrogen, for me and all the other who are too scared of looking daft, what would you use to add nitrogen to the soil? :unsure: 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I can't be the only one.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 21:23 »
You're not the only one  :wacko:

Have a look at this link on the main website, might answer a few questions!

http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 21:59 »
Thank you for that.  So I'm not far off the track with Growmore?

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 22:36 »
Sulphate of Ammonia will give you the biggest hit of nitrogen you can practically get.

However, use with caution because applied at the wrong time it will give lots of lush growth which early in the year will get frosted very easily, later in the year it promotes leaf growth at the expense of fruit, if that's what you're after. So it would be good for sweetcorn as the plants are growing but detrimental as they are getting to flowering stage.
Chicken manure will give you a high hit of nitrogen as well but the same problems as above.

Unless you need a huge nitrogen boost then a more balance fertiliser such as BFB or stable manure (or Growmore) applied early will be a better option (bearing in mind you don't want to manure just before a root crop). Best to have the nutrients there in advance rather than trying to fix a problem later.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 22:53 »
Triki's right. The best solution is to get the soil in good heart by adding plenty of compost/manure and then you only need to think about a top-up every now and then. Pelleted chicken poo is a good source of nitrogen but it's slightly alkaline so don't give it to your potatoes or they'll get scabbed.

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 23:16 »
Legumes (beans and peas) help to fix nitrogen in to the soil so after you've finished with the crop leave the roots in until the following spring.
I always work on the premise that if you feed the soil you don't need to worry so much about feeding the plants.  Good soil is everything and personally I prefer to use natural methods for improving it.  Having a good compost heap to produce loads of good quality compost to dig in the soil is a must.  Growing green manures in unused beds is another great way of feeding the soil.  Also, remember some crops grow better without a recent soil feed.  Carrots prefer almost a sandy soil.  Good luck.

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:32 »
Thanks all.  I have always been an advocate of farmyard/horse manure but you always hear, television/ radio, people banging on about nitrogen and it set me to wondering how, when and where.  I think I prefer to go with Growmore because that's balanced and I wouldn't like to use too much of one thing and not enough of the other.  I do know about root crops and manure and peas and beans and the necessity for well fed soil it's when it gets scientific that I go completely off the rails.

I hope this has been of use to other numptys like me.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 15:53 »
chicken pelleted manure watered in well give a great kick to leaf veg.I only use comfry on my toms it's worked wonders the last couple of years smells awful but saves you a packet

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 17:22 »
At the end of the season, where my runner/french beans are concerned, I cut down the plants, then roughly chop them and bury them in the ground, leaving the roots in.  They will be well rotted by the following year.  When I completely dig over the plot in November/December, I throw on loads of chicken pellets and bfb, and then leave it.  Then when Spring arrives, I rotivate the whole plot ready for planting.

Also, in winter, because my plot is on the acid side, I throw on lime, but not where I will be planting the spuds.
Babs

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 33 queries.