4 hens only 3 eggs!!

• 6 Replies

lynnsb

4 hens only 3 eggs!!
« on: August 18, 2010, 13:41 »
I am a new owner and have had chickens about 3 weeks and they started laying about 2 weeks ago. They were 17weeks old when I got them from an egg producer locally, so they are same breed and same age. I am only getting 3 eggs a day from 4 chickens so is it likely that 1 is not laying, or just that they are taking it in turns to miss. They all seem fit and healthy and are eating well. There are a few feathers in the run, could one of them be moulting-how old are they when they start to moult and do they do it at different times of the year, or at the same time.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Lynn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: 4 hens only 3 eggs!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 13:54 »
It is supposed to take a hen 25 hours to produce an egg so working on that theory they will not lay every day. What breed of hen are they? What colour are their combs? Are their combs all the same size? Do they squat when you approach?
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 15:58 »
Some hens can be 30 weeks old before laying. 3 eggs a day from 4, 20 week old hens is good, very good so don't worry. As Joyfull asks are all their combs deep red and a good size as this indicates they are in lay or coming up to lay. As for squatting a couple of mine do when their approached but the others run a mile and I can't catch em especially the Bluebelle. They will be caught shortly as it coming up to external parasite treating time which they really enjoy. Given up with dusting as they win every time :wacko:

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 17:42 »
Sorry to hijack this post, but what does squatting when you approach them indicate? All 4 of our older ones do this, (but not our young pullets), but didnt know it was for anything in particular!

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 18:04 »
the squatting is a sign of sexual maturity as it is to allow the cockerel to mount/tread them, i believe.  If a chicken is physically/sexually mature then she is of an age to lay!  As you are 'in charge' they respond to your approach as they would to a cockerel - if you stamp a bit as you approach this encourages their response making them easier to catch and asserts your (supposed) authority over them .... authority ha ha!!   :D

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 18:25 »
Ahhh!

Chicken phsycology!!

Thanks for that.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 19:14 »
it's all very well, chicken brained/ bird brained etc, we are supposed to be the superior species - but it's humbling how often you can be outwitted by a cheeky chicken!  ::) 

xx
3 Hens 2 Eggs

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 04:13
by drumcrow
xx
4 hens 3 eggs

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:24
by rachelr
question
3 hens, 5 eggs?!*

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 20:56
by emmaellis
xx
Yolks in my new hens eggs

Started by Fiona Fairgirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2016, 13:57
by Sassy

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.