Debris Scaffold Netting

• 6 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Debris Scaffold Netting
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:38 »
Hi,

I'm thinking of using Debris Scaffold Netting as cheaper alternative to Enviromesh.  I know the holes are not small enough to stop carrot fly but does it stop the dreaded cabbage white butterflies?

Also sounds like a silly question but it matter which colour is choosen?

Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Debris Scaffold Netting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:08 »
Yes the netting size does stop the cabbage whites, but if you buy the wider width, or need to join widths together, there may be some wider slots along the edges/in the middle that are big enough for them to crawl through, so would need to be sewn/tied up.
I don't think the colour makes a great deal of difference, but I've always used the green/blue :)
debris netting.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:10 by mumofstig »

Plot94

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 14:03 »
Just a tip if you have a scaffold firm nearby, might be worth asking if they have any used netting that they do not want. I was once in a scaffold yard and they were dumping pallet loads of used netting, I asked if I could have some and they said help yourself, I filled the car up! Some was useless but the vast majority was just dusty, I had about 300 metres of useable, if a bit dirty, netting.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 14:46 »
Bought some a while back from an ebay seller , check the width and check for delivery charges , I combined the two to find best price. I bought green netting , two meters wide. Nearly forgot check feedback if you buy via ebay.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 15:46 »
fully agree with previous comments, avoid gaps ,avoid stitching together if poss. I get diff widths in diff colours and make a note of which is what as it makes easier to pull out what I need if all bundled up in shed. Remember that anything that keeps out butterflies also keeps out bees and other pollinators. No probs with cabbages but important for soft fruit etc.
R

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 18:11 »
I was given some Debris scaffold netting and it was good quality mesh orange and I have used it on our raised beds had no problems from white butterflies wish I could net the slugs though

also got some heavier scaffold nets no good for butterflies but ideal to stop the pigeons overwintering brassicas and using as bean nets

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:05 »
We just doubled up a long length of the stuff for carrots, up on wire hoops, and had near perfect crops.

Make sure the edges are nailed down firmly though, I actually once caught a carrot fly poking around, trying to get in at ground level!

xx
scaffold/debris netting

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 23:34
by peterjf
xx
Scaffold/debris netting question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
advantages of scaffold netting

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 08:11
by vineweevil1

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 47 queries.