Asparagus just does nothing

• 7 Replies

missmoneypenny

Asparagus just does nothing
« on: November 16, 2019, 22:15 »
I planted two young plants in autumn. 2018. About 14 months on and virtually nothing has happened. They haven’t died ,  but they haven’t bulked up at all and look pitiful. About 10cm high, wispy half yellow leaf fronds. No sign of side shoots. I followed instructions in planting and gave them space, rich soil and weeded.
  Is this a sign they won’t come to anything or should I be patient? If they’re duds I need to know so I can put the space to more productive use.  Thank you for your opinion and advice.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus just does nothing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:05 »
They will be dying down at this time of year, so it will be next spring before you know how they are duds or not.

If you planted very small plants, they will eventually bulk up, but they will take a few years.  I've seen them in 9cm (3") pots for sale before and I would say they are a long term project, even by asparagus standards.  You need a few more plants in my view as well - say 6 at least if picking for 2 people.

If you buy decent crowns, it takes 2-3 years before they really get going.  You have to buy these mail order.  The ones sold in garden centres in bags are pretty small and puny.  You can sometimes find big 2L pots of them in garden centres. but they are are not cheap to buy that way.

I love my homegrown asparagus, but there is no denying that if you are short of plot space, there are way more productive things you could put in that spot. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:08 by New shoot »

jambop

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:58 »
The most over rated veg in the plot all it does is take up space... I have a large veg plot and I still would not waste space growing it!

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 15:30 »
The most over rated veg in the plot all it does is take up space... I have a large veg plot and I still would not waste space growing it!

Each to their own, but once established it's very little effort and crops at a time when not much else is available. I wouldn't be without a patch now.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 19:29 »
Agree, top crop low effort. I have 12 crowns in a 12x2 ft bed and I reckon I get £100 worth of Asparagus since year 4.  I have planted some new ones in a different bed which is taking  a bit longer to get going. Year 3 next year so will see, it was a purple so assuming its harder to grow than the bog standard varieties.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 13:23 »
I planted two young plants in autumn. 2018. About 14 months on and virtually nothing has happened. They haven’t died ,  but they haven’t bulked up at all and look pitiful. About 10cm high, wispy half yellow leaf fronds. No sign of side shoots. I followed instructions in planting and gave them space, rich soil and weeded.
  Is this a sign they won’t come to anything or should I be patient? If they’re duds I need to know so I can put the space to more productive use.  Thank you for your opinion and advice.

Do the plants get much water? My dad struggled to get his established on light soil in Market Harborough and I suspect south London has fairly light rainfall. No problem here in Manchester :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 16:08 »
I have 6 plants in a raised bed at home, so I don't get huge yields, but it earns its place with me as you cannot buy anything even close to the quality of fresh picked, homegrown asparagus.   Even the most expensive offerings from the high end supermarkets are tasteless by comparison.

It is a seasonal treat we look forward to  :)

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 20:06 »
Than you all. I guess it’s still in the balance. I did indeed buy them in 9” pots and they haven’t had a whole lot of water over the summer. Plus they got bullied by the nasturtiums and nigella plants which self seeded on their spot. I might add in some mail order plants and give it a couple of years. After that if it’s still no go I’ll pull them up.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 21:18
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.