Help with slow cooker

• 43 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with slow cooker
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 21:40 »
8-9 lb  :ohmy:

Perhaps I'll start small.  Would take me a long time to eat all of that ...  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 21:43 »
I can help.  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 21:44 »
Form an orderly queue then ...  :lol:

:lol:

I have a sneaking suspicion I won't get 8-9lb in the slow cooker either  8)

Spana

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 21:50 »
I only gave that to show you need to cook it for a long time, :D

But.... i think big joints always cook better and if you make a big pan of proper gravy you can freeze it sliced with the gravy and save yourself some work when you fancy a nice beef dinner again. :happy:

Springlands

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47 »
My butcher sells the shin of beef on the bone - when I cook it for soup my OH eats the marrow out of the bone - says that it very tasty.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19 »
I agree shin of beef is sublime cooked in the slow cooker. I also cooked oxtail recently, for the first time ever, in the slow cooker. Rich and unctuous. :) I've only ever eaten it as soup before.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 17:00 »
Soup....ahhh - that's my other sneaky idea: once you've had the stew and most of the meat & veg have been ladled out, the rest of the stew can be blended (in the slow cooker with a stick blender if you have one) with any left-over mash or green veg you had with the stew.

This tasty substance is known to my family as "stewp" or possibly "stoup" and is brilliant with a loaf of fresh bread and a lump of nice cheese
ManicMum

madcat

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 17:43 »
Recognise that one!   :)  A handful of lentils or pot barley cooked in the gravy (maybe extended with a little stock  ???)  in the slow cooker can also give the soup some extra  'body'.  A lifesaver on a busy saturday lunchtime! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 13:52 »
Or pour the gravy over  cooked Aldi wok noodle, add a smattering of grated cheese, Freeze in small portions, (I use aldi ice-cream tubs) and Take to work for Lunch, microwave, and be the envy of all the sandwich stuffers.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

Poolfield2

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 20:32 »
I have a 3.5litre which I use frequently and a 6.5 litre which I use when I am catering for a party and love them both. I have found that the larger model is much more powerful and I have to be careful not to overcook things.

One Easter I was making porridge for a large crowd and even on Low the large pot was bubbling rather vigorously.

chrissie B

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 21:13 »
mine is the same its 6 pints and it boils things on the low setting , its not as good as my old one i had for almost 20 years .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Spana

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01 »
Mine bubbles quite hard even on low :unsure: I'm finding it hard to judge how long to cook things for.

If you were making a big casserole with  chicken breasts,how long d'you think it would need taking into account that i have a bubbler  and my chicken is home reared so is a bit firmer that shop bought. :unsure:

Springlands

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 13:50 »
Hi Spana - I have a medium size slow cooker. When making chicken breasts in a tomato based sauce the SC recipe book recommended six hours on high. I actually cooked the dish for one hour on high and then used low. I tested the chicken at 3 and a half hours it is was falling apart.

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 14:14 »
Personally I never cook chicken breast in the slow cooker, as it seems a waste of time, and hard to get anymore flavour in it. (I‘m not a breast man best of times, preferring thigh or wing for stews and curries.)  But saying that I cube the breast and brown it before cooking it in a red wine/tomato sauce with venison sausage, belly pork and mixed beans.  Chicken will cook reasonable easily in less than 4 hours in my small slow cooker. (if in doubt stick a probe in it after 4 hours, and if the chicken is  74oC or more you're fine,  on low my slowcooker from tesco will reach 94oC in two hours and 140oC on high ) So I’m more likely to cook it in the oven in my Dutch oven, where as cheap cuts of beef and the like I can put on a’for I leave for work, and have it ready for when My wife comes home.   
Breast of chicken rubbed all over with korma seasoning mixed with oil or yogurt and baked, in a Pyrex dish on e medium oven for two hours  on low.(lid off for the final 40 minutes)  Even my teenage daughter wants more.     

xx
Slow cooker - which one

Started by BigPaddy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx
slow cooker

Started by greenjay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:05
by Aled
xx
Slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:40
by madcat
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.