Help with slow cooker

• 43 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with slow cooker
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 21:40 »
8-9 lb  :ohmy:

Perhaps I'll start small.  Would take me a long time to eat all of that ...  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 21:43 »
I can help.  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 21:44 »
Form an orderly queue then ...  :lol:

:lol:

I have a sneaking suspicion I won't get 8-9lb in the slow cooker either  8)

Spana

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 21:50 »
I only gave that to show you need to cook it for a long time, :D

But.... i think big joints always cook better and if you make a big pan of proper gravy you can freeze it sliced with the gravy and save yourself some work when you fancy a nice beef dinner again. :happy:

Springlands

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47 »
My butcher sells the shin of beef on the bone - when I cook it for soup my OH eats the marrow out of the bone - says that it very tasty.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19 »
I agree shin of beef is sublime cooked in the slow cooker. I also cooked oxtail recently, for the first time ever, in the slow cooker. Rich and unctuous. :) I've only ever eaten it as soup before.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 17:00 »
Soup....ahhh - that's my other sneaky idea: once you've had the stew and most of the meat & veg have been ladled out, the rest of the stew can be blended (in the slow cooker with a stick blender if you have one) with any left-over mash or green veg you had with the stew.

This tasty substance is known to my family as "stewp" or possibly "stoup" and is brilliant with a loaf of fresh bread and a lump of nice cheese
ManicMum

madcat

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 17:43 »
Recognise that one!   :)  A handful of lentils or pot barley cooked in the gravy (maybe extended with a little stock  ???)  in the slow cooker can also give the soup some extra  'body'.  A lifesaver on a busy saturday lunchtime! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 13:52 »
Or pour the gravy over  cooked Aldi wok noodle, add a smattering of grated cheese, Freeze in small portions, (I use aldi ice-cream tubs) and Take to work for Lunch, microwave, and be the envy of all the sandwich stuffers.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

Poolfield2

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 20:32 »
I have a 3.5litre which I use frequently and a 6.5 litre which I use when I am catering for a party and love them both. I have found that the larger model is much more powerful and I have to be careful not to overcook things.

One Easter I was making porridge for a large crowd and even on Low the large pot was bubbling rather vigorously.

chrissie B

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 21:13 »
mine is the same its 6 pints and it boils things on the low setting , its not as good as my old one i had for almost 20 years .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Spana

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01 »
Mine bubbles quite hard even on low :unsure: I'm finding it hard to judge how long to cook things for.

If you were making a big casserole with  chicken breasts,how long d'you think it would need taking into account that i have a bubbler  and my chicken is home reared so is a bit firmer that shop bought. :unsure:

Springlands

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 13:50 »
Hi Spana - I have a medium size slow cooker. When making chicken breasts in a tomato based sauce the SC recipe book recommended six hours on high. I actually cooked the dish for one hour on high and then used low. I tested the chicken at 3 and a half hours it is was falling apart.

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 14:14 »
Personally I never cook chicken breast in the slow cooker, as it seems a waste of time, and hard to get anymore flavour in it. (I‘m not a breast man best of times, preferring thigh or wing for stews and curries.)  But saying that I cube the breast and brown it before cooking it in a red wine/tomato sauce with venison sausage, belly pork and mixed beans.  Chicken will cook reasonable easily in less than 4 hours in my small slow cooker. (if in doubt stick a probe in it after 4 hours, and if the chicken is  74oC or more you're fine,  on low my slowcooker from tesco will reach 94oC in two hours and 140oC on high ) So I’m more likely to cook it in the oven in my Dutch oven, where as cheap cuts of beef and the like I can put on a’for I leave for work, and have it ready for when My wife comes home.   
Breast of chicken rubbed all over with korma seasoning mixed with oil or yogurt and baked, in a Pyrex dish on e medium oven for two hours  on low.(lid off for the final 40 minutes)  Even my teenage daughter wants more.     

xx
Slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:40
by madcat
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy
xx
Slow Cooker

Started by Heifer73 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

53 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 11:56
by noshed
xx
Slow-cooker

Started by blackhobbescat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 21:48
by Sally A

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.