Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

• 5 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"
« on: February 22, 2014, 13:33 »
Hi

I am going to try making up some seed tapes using beetroot. However, since most beetroot 'seeds' will produce several seedlings, any benefit from the tape regarding thinning would be lost.

I understand some beetroot are classed as monogerm, which produce only one seedling per seed (wow !!)

Two of these are Solist and Monika. So which one is better please ? (in terms of taste and / or weight of harvest)

There is another monogerm variety, called Monorubra, but they long 'carrot shaped' and I think I would prefer the more conventional globe shaped beet.

thanks !

Totty

Re: Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 18:23 »
Grow them both alongside each other. Are you making seed tapes to sell, or just for your own use? Seems like a lot of fiddling that's all.

Totty

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 18:45 »
Just for myself

I saw on Youtube the idea and it looks pretty useful. I made up some spring onion tapes a couple of days ago, which have now dried and are being stored in a plastic bag, in my fridge.

I had seen seed tapes in the catalogues, but thought they were quite expensive, when you compare to the number of seeds in most packets.

I think carrot would be the most useful, as the carrot fly is attracted to the carrot smell, caused when thinning takes place. I suppose I could thin them by moonlight, but that's more faff than making tapes on the kitchen table .. with the radio on and a cup of tea.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 19:41 »
I've never used seed tapes as to me making or using seed tapes are a waste of time - especially on things like beetroot and spring onions.. they grow so easily when broadcast and then the thinnings are eaten first.. Problem is with tapes if one seed dosent take you have a gap.. a gap means no growth there so wasted space. I'd rather over sow and thin to make sure I get 110% utilization of my ground.. no wastage.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 21:23 »
Totally agree with Gavin, for the time it must take to make sure you evenly distribute single seeds, I don't see it making life easier at all.
By sowing these mono beetroot directly into the soil, you won't have to thin them anyway.

Totty

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 22:33 »
I use Boltardy sowing in trays in my conservatory and then planting out when I have small plugs. Sometimes I separate the seedlings but later in the season I just leave them together and then take out a beet leaving others close to grow on.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.