Egg-ette

• 2 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Egg-ette
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:44 »
Question: Do eggs grow smaller as days grow shorter?

Nibbles, one of my Amber Stars is laying smaller eggs. The other Amber and the Leghorn are laying as usual, but I was wondering whether she was gearing towards shutting shop for the winter.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,

Pertelotte

Flowerpower136

Re: Egg-ette
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:57 »
I thought size of egg was to do with age of chicken.  ie eggs get bigger as hen gets older.  And we have some whoppers!!  But we do occasionally have some very small ones too, so not sure.  Would be interested to hear.
The smaller ones are much tastier.  I think because there is less white.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Re: Egg-ette
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46 »
Her eggs started out dinky and grew to a standard 60g with occassional fluctuations either way which goes with what you say. She is now fully grown with a full scarlet comb and wattles.

Now she's had two days in a row with dinky eggs although they still weigh in as medium.(55 -59g) I think it's because she has a thickish shell. In pure size she's produced slightly smaller eggs than the other amber although there's never been any difference in the weight.

There have been no changes (apart from revamped digs) other than the shortening days and the fact they're all spending more time in the shed due to the ever present threat of Mr F.

However, as you also say the little ones are delicious.

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.