Brussels

• 14 Replies

thedigalots

Brussels
« on: May 11, 2011, 20:32 »
Hi,

First post here from us, so bear with us if they're stupid questions!  We've done a search, but can't find any definitive answers or info....

We got our allotment at the end of March (after a couple of years on the list) and have been fortunate enough to get what we think is a nice plot, it was in a bit of state when we got hold of it, but with some hard work we've got our beds dug over nicely and everything is looking quite good!

Well, nearly everything!  We also direct sowed some brussels on the 17th of last month, now, we may be being impatient here, but as far I can see, out of ten seeds, only one seems to have germinated (I say seems to have, unless I eventually see brussels on it, I'm classing it as a weed!) it looks like a brussesl seedling from that seedling images site.

Bearing in mind that we're relative newbies to this all (we've grown potatoes, peppers, aubergines and beans in the garden before) it would appear that we'd have been better off germinating in seed trays and then transplanting, we've done this with a lot of stuff that we now have going into the allotment and have had great success!

Given that the brussels we have in the ground don't appear to be doing much are we too late to try and germinate another set in seed trays as backup?  Seed packets say we are, but I thought we'd ask you knowledgable folks as we've been lurking long enough!

Thanks.

Adrian & Sarah

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Brussels
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 20:42 »
i would go for it nothing to lose however if you desperatly want brusselss buy some plugs   :D just in case
oh and a big welcome to the forums

thedigalots

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 20:57 »
Thanks!  :) We'll pick up another packet and have another go, worth a try then.

We're trying to avoid plug plants, mainly so that we learn how to do things from the bottom up....failures and all, it's all learning.

It's very exciting when you start seeing things popping up from seeds that you've planted, well, it is to us!

We've just had to give away a whole load of very healthy seedlings of various types because they've done really well and we're running out of space.

Adrian & Sarah

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 22:30 »
Best to grow them in modules, so that when you plant them out in the middle of summer, they will not be checked, as they will each have their own rootball.

D.I.Y. plugplants! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 22:34 by Gandan57 »
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

thedigalots

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:09 »
Ooops a daisy, first rookie mistake!  Everything we've sown so far has been in modules, not seed trays! 

Terminology failiure! And yes, there's something quite satisfying when you finally stick them in the ground after bringing them to life!

Debz

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:10 »
My brussels have also failed to germinate this year lathough I have managed to grow several other kinds of brassica.  I have a second batch of seed in but will probably pick up some plug plants at the garden centre this weekend just to make sure of some sprouts.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:12 »
best to grow seeds in pots or trays 1st. i sowed direct when i 1st started and i didn't get far  :unsure: depending on variety of brussels you have best to grow around March and let them grow at least 2 or 3 sets of true leaves, harden ouside around april before planting them outside. Planted mine around April and so far doing good

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 23:26 »
I start virtually everything thing off in modules, especially brassicas.  It saves a lot of time even tho you have to plant out...

The main things I sow direct are salad stuff, onions/shallots(sets), spinach, carrots.

I even sow parsnips in modules which is totally against the rules but they always turn out fine, getting the "transfer" right is the big thing...
Death OR Cake ???

Gandan57

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 23:53 »
cooperman, I`m intrigued as to how you transplant a module grown parsnip. Would the compost not all fall away?

thedigalots

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 18:17 »
Well....We bought a tray of plants from the nursery to replace the non germinating plants!

I can safely say (it's definately a brussells!) that we have a grand total of 1 out of 10 that germinated, so next season we'll germinate in our mini greenhouse which has given us so many germination successes during our short time in allotmenteering!

Lesson learned!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 18:23 »

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,  add infinitum .   .   .  .Accept brassica seedlings from a stranger (or even from anyone you know).  :mad: The chance of importing club root is just too great.

Get the seeds in now and keep your fingers crossed.   :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Sprouts

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 18:25 »
cooperman, I`m intrigued as to how you transplant a module grown parsnip. Would the compost not all fall away?

I also grow carrots and parsnips in modules with no problems. You do need to use a small module approx 1 inch square no bigger

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 18:30 »

I even sow parsnips in modules which is totally against the rules but they always turn out fine, getting the "transfer" right is the big thing...
I sow mine in garden soil in small peat pots in the greenhouse early April, two to a pot and if they both germinate, prick one out. I then plant out the whole pot in mid May. 100% success in the last two years

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 19:12 »

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,  add infinitum .   .   .  .Accept brassica seedlings from a stranger (or even from anyone you know).  :mad: The chance of importing club root is just too great.

Get the seeds in now and keep your fingers crossed.   :D  Cheers,   Tony.

It is ok to buy them from the garden centre though, where they are grown in compost  :)

thedigalots

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 20:06 »
Thanks all.  Another lesson learned as well, we did pick up the plants from the garden centre though, everything else we've grown from seed.

Having read about club root now, we're hoping that our plot is free from it, when we took it on at the end of march there were a lot of random brassicas on the the plot, we didn't pay an awful lot of attention when clearing stuff as we didn't even know about it!

Time will tell!

Adrian & Sarah

thumbup
Brussels!

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 16:36
by Roll Roll
xx
brussels

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 12:55
by savbo
xx
Brussels

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 12, 2015, 22:37
by Tom Hill
clip
Brussels

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 20:39
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 39 queries.