Runner bean flowers falling

• 8 Replies

hubballi

Runner bean flowers falling
« on: July 15, 2012, 14:53 »
I have very healthy runner bean plants as well as nice flowers. However, the flowers are falling off before they set at a worrying rate.   :ohmy: Is this normal ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 14:56 by hubballi »

Ivor Backache

Re: Runner bean flowers falling
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 15:00 »
Mine are the same. Runner beans need insects for pollination. The rainy weather keeps them away, the flowers don't get pollinated and they drop off.

There is a self pollinating type which should solve the problem. (just like climbing french beans.) Someone will have grown them and should be able to comment.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 15:36 »
I always have this with the first few. Don't give up, there might be some sun one day! And then the insects will be busy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 16:11 »
Yes - we need the insects - particularly a certain type of bee that does the job, as I remember. Most of us have found the rain has put off insect pollination but I also remember that my runner flowers fell off at the start, then all went well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 16:21 »
Just returned from my allotment and I have exactly the same problem - flowers but no beans . On the plus side, the sun was out, and there were bees about on the flowers.....Fingers crossed.

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 16:44 »
It is usually the white flowered varieties such as Monnlight and White Lady that are self pollinating although one of the major seed companies has introduced a red self pollinating variety.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 18:50 »
As far as I know all runner beans are self-pollinating, but need insects to "trip" the flowers, although Moonlight is claimed to set well even in poor weather, which presumably means in the relative absence of pollinating insects.

White-flowered varieties are supposedly less attractive to birds (not true at least as far as my local sparrows are concerned!) and also set better in hot weather than red-flowered varieties (we won't talk about that!)

My White Lady runners are reluctantly growing up the canes (best 6', worst 6"  :ohmy:) and have some flowers - time, and the weather, will tell.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 18:53 »
My White Lady have started flowering this week. They've grown on a storm since the weather got a bit warmer though. They've gone off the top of 8' poles now. Fingers crossed the flowers will start turning into pods soon. The long-term forecast for my area is looking a bit more optimistic for the end of July now.

Isn't it funny how bad weather never seems to bother aphids?

hubballi

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 19:43 »
Ah, ok  :) Seems like it's a common problem then. We had a sunny day in Cheshire and there were a few insects knocking about.

The worrying thing I have found are the amount of dead and dying bees this summer I have seen around. I even found one crawling around with no wings.

xx
Broad bean flowers falling

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 11:28
by Salmo
xx
The flowers are falling off my runner beans.

Started by kathrose on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 15:05
by JayG
xx
Runner bean flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 00:30
by peterjf
xx
Runner bean flowers

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 01:25
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 39 queries.