Annoying black flies around my veg - what are they?

• 1 Replies

pinkdaisychain

Hey

We don't have a garden we only have a balcony and as it is high up it can be quite windy so we are keeping some of our veg indoors (herbs and a massive pot with our courgette plant in it!) We have a large window so we keep them in front of that so they get a lot of light.

For a few weeks now we have noticed a lot of annoying litte black flies flying around the plants - particularly around the courgette) and they seem to particularly like it if the plants have just been watered and they fly about erratically or if you disturb the soil a whole load seem to appear to be crawling about in it! They seem to only really go on the soil and not all that often on the plants. We have tried spraying them with organic bug killer but it doesn't seem to make a difference really, the only thing that does seem to make a slight difference is not watering for a while so the soil dries out but of course the plants themselves don't like that much!

Any ideas what this bug is and any good ideas on how to get rid of it? I'm a bit worried about how far down in the soil it goes and that it might be after the roots  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Annoying black flies around my veg - what are they?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:10 »
what you have are sciarid fly  :( There are nemotodes you can water on to control these  or use the yellow sticky fly traps near where they are. Watering from the bottom only also seems to help deter them.
some research suggests that these have become more of a problem than they were in peat based composts

xx
little black flies

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 21:44
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Little black flies ???????????

Started by shifty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 17:19
by shifty
xx
Black flies and herbs

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2009, 20:30
by mumofstig
xx
Black flies on my runner beans

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 22:08
by MOLUSC

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 40 queries.