Black flies and herbs

• 7 Replies

Babstreefern

Black flies and herbs
« on: December 10, 2009, 15:47 »
I was out this lunch on the first of, hopefully, many work's Christmas lunches :D, and we were discussing herbs :).  Some of the girls who are growing them had them outside during the summer, then brought them inside for winter, and find they are getting black flies :unsure:.  Can anyone help as to what they are and what's causing them?
Babs

Trillium

Re: Black flies and herbs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 15:56 »
The dormant eggs were on the plants prior to bring them inside, and now the heat inside has hatched the eggs. When bringing plants which have been outside inside, you must carefully spray all parts with insecticidal soap (over a sink), let the excess drip off, then set in place with a bit of newspaper to catch any further drips. Check regularly for a few weeks in case you missed any pests. Once inside, don't overwater herbs as it cause whitefly infestations. No idea where they come from, but that's what happens.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 16:18 »
I also stick a couple of slug pellets on the surface of the pot ... it is amazing how those little critters find their way in with the pots ... :mad:  (Ugh!)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

savbo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 19:07 »
probably sciarid flies in the compost - I find watering from below and stirring the surface of the compost for a centimetre or two to let it dry help reduce the problem... - yellow sticky traps are good too (I sometimes cut a full card into several inch-wide pieces and putting them on the unseen side of the pot.)

They seem to like peat-free composts but that's my decision!

M

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 19:18 »
I agree with Scavbo, sciarid flies.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 20:00 »

Yup and my kitchen window is full of herbs at the mo YUK, first year I've had the flies and they are disgusting, and yes, it's a different (no peat) compost >:(

Will have to find some yellow sticky.........that should be fun at this time of year :ohmy:

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 20:06 »

Yup and my kitchen window is full of herbs at the mo YUK, first year I've had the flies and they are disgusting, and yes, it's a different (no peat) compost >:(

Will have to find some yellow sticky.........that should be fun at this time of year :ohmy:

How anyone can complain about growing meat and veg in one pot is beyond me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 20:30 »
Oh yukie yuk.............I know the climate police would like us to eat less meat (though where they will find enough land to grow enough veg instead  >:( ) But I draw the line at eating flies instead.

Er how many scariad flies replace a pork chop :D :D ???

xx
small white flies on herbs

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 08:12
by willowman
xx
Little black flies ???????????

Started by shifty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 17:19
by shifty
xx
little black flies

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 21:44
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Annoying black flies around my veg - what are they?

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 10:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 40 queries.