My least favourite hen keeping job has to be ................

• 13 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Poo picking after a downpour!  Yuk, have just been dripped on by our large silver birch tree still laden with rain.  Forgot my hen shoes were outside so also have soggy feet.  To top it all soggy trodden in hen poo is a nightmare to clean off grass.  If you leave it to dry it is worse as it sticks to the grass and takes twice as long to do.   :mad:  Two days in a row the rain has outsmarted me ...................... it does not take alot to be fair! 

On the bright side, collected six lovely fresh eggs off our six poo machines!!  Job done, time for a nice cup of tea.   :D

What is you least favourite hen keeping job?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

RichardA

Chickens are light weights in the poo department -- we have ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is real muck.

Beano

Oh yes ducks, they seem to eject more than they ingest. How do they do that?
My worse chicken job is de-lousing.
El.

ANHBUC

Chickens are light weights in the poo department -- we have ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is real muck.

True, we considered getting ducks as we have a large pond but were put off when some local mallards gave us a preview of the mess they make!!!  Took us ages to discourage them from making our garden their home.  We had a moorhen staying for a few months in the winter but it left to find a mate.   :(

ANHBUC

Oh yes ducks, they seem to eject more than they ingest. How do they do that?
My worse chicken job is de-lousing.

Touch wood, haven't had the pleasure yet.  Preventative measures are working for now.

RichardA

Our ducks have a big run and a pond, they are bedded on straw which is changed every 3 to 4 days, that plus everything else plus the pond sludge when we clean it out makes excellent compost for the veg garden. Bedding takes about 20 (old style) bales of straw a year - luckily we have a reasonable local source. But I do get sick of shovelling the stuff twice a week.
R

Raven81

My least favourite is trying to get them in their run, its not yucky but its hard work, and I look silly, chasing four hens round the garden!!  
Not only this but I keep forgetting to shut the back door so I end up with all of them in my kitchen! My OH is like the pied piper, he just walks up the garden and they all follow him! I normally get two in then when I open the door to put another in the first two come out!  They always seem to know when I'm in a rush or someone is here or I'm wearing my dressing gown and take twice as long!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
hehe my partner has that trouble, she seems to chase them round for ages, i just pop out and they follow me into the run!

My worst job is Ceacle poo's!  They smell so bad when you disurb them and you get toffee source stains all over the grass!!

Ewww!

I hate signatures but love irony

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
well it's poo it's a poopy job and we dont like it but then it's followed by ringing hens, and baby roosters that is no joy.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Culling them  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
My worst job is Ceacle poo's! 

What is a Ceacle or who is Ceacle?
Any day above ground is a good day.

brick22

Trying to find all the poop's in the garden before my dog gets out there & eats them....urrggghhh. I now have to worm her every 4 weeks!!
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

ANHBUC

Pictures of caecal poos here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

The smell is awfull when you disturb them.   :blink:

NormandyMary

Pictures of caecal poos here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

The smell is awfull when you disturb them.   :blink:

Yep I agree. Stinky poos!!

exclamation
What is your favourite type of hen!?

Started by tom86420 on Chicken Chat

39 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 20:13
by TeaPots
xx
Favourite National Bird?

Started by Elvira on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 14:49
by joyfull
xx
my favourite waste of time!

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 13:26
by Maeve
xx
So what's your favourite cleaning tool?

Started by orchardlady on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 11:45
by Springlands

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 37 queries.