Blimey

• 5 Replies

Asherweef

Blimey
« on: November 22, 2014, 16:44 »
So - We are both new to keeping hens having only had our 3 girls for 3 months. As some of you may be aware, we've had some issues with one of our chicks, a Blue Ranger/Bluebelle; she's not been great since we got here having a mixture of runny poos, feather plucking and most recently a bad leg. We took her to the breeder for her leg to be looked at as we feared it was Marek's but turned out to be just a swollen hock (she never walks from the coop, just flies). Anyway - we thought she was on the mend but last weekend her leg had swollen up even further, we contacted the breeder again as she couldn't put any pressure on the joint & she very kindly offered to swap her due to the fact we don't have the space to separate her out for a long period.

We went over today & swapped her for a light sussex who is so amazingly tame, we introduced her to the other two gently but had to sit back and gape at the fights! Hens can be so vicious when sorting out the pecking order! I almost feared for my own life  :wacko:

grinling

Re: Blimey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 17:59 »
are they the same age? keep an eye on them all as you haven't quarantined.
when they come out of the coop what is the floor made of?

sounds like the hen might have had bumblefoot, check all the birds for any signs over the next few weeks. The breeder should have recognised this.

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 09:07 »
Definitely not bumblefoot - there was no swelling on the foot, just an inflamed hock but thanks for the psychic diagnosis  :wacko: wish I could do that without seeing or knowing an injury!

Girls already getting on & didn't bother to quarantine as it's a big set up complete with injections; next door has added to hers a few times over the years from there.

Coop floor is sand & girls are about 6 weeks different - maybe 8.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:31 by Asherweef »

Asherweef

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:31 »
Definitely not bumblefoot - there was no swelling on the foot, just an inflamed hock but thanks for the psychic diagnosis  :wacko:

Girls already getting on & didn't bother to quarantine as it's a big set up complete with injections; next door has added to hers a few times over the years from there.

Coop floor is sand & girls are about 6 weeks different - maybe 8.

Mogman

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01 »
When I kept poultry many years ago a wise old gent told me, when I mentioned the scraps that happened when introducing new birds, that it's a good idea to place them in the roost at night. It didn't stop the "ranking" behaviour but it seemed to reduce the violence a bit.

Asherweef

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 15:18 »
When I kept poultry many years ago a wise old gent told me, when I mentioned the scraps that happened when introducing new birds, that it's a good idea to place them in the roost at night. It didn't stop the "ranking" behaviour but it seemed to reduce the violence a bit.

Will remember that for next time! :)

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.