Dogs and hens

• 12 Replies

grinling

Dogs and hens
« on: June 16, 2014, 21:09 »
Are there certain breeds which should not go near chooks? My daughter would like a dog, we have pointed out that chicken and guinea pig need to be safe. Any suggestions?

barley

Re: Dogs and hens
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 23:29 »
my dogs are cross breeds

yes and unless trained a dog will instinctively kill a chicken  :(

It takes a week or so to make sure the dog is not allowed to touch the chicken

To do this I introduced the dog to the chicken on a lead and reprimanded the dog with a sharp tug of the lead and a resounding NO everytime it showed an unhealthy interest in the chicken

It was rewarded for good behaviour of not showing interest in the chicken

I would say any dog can be taught this as it is basic dog training of any dog to learn to leave

maybe avoid terrier type dogs as they are the most likely to attack being bred for rat killing ( but I bet a terrier owner will say different  ;) )

here's my girls with our chooks

Grace is more interested in me than the chooks  ;)

Lola is more interested in chook poo than the chooks  :D

They even do a spot of sunbathing together  8)

and Grace likes a snooze in the cool Run  ::)

And Lola even thinks she's a chicken !!!

And finally a group shot ( no that's not a chicken their eating !!! its a munchy bone )

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00 »
Our two are the same, but the crossbreed is besotted with babies. The lab is totally uninterested, except for poo. Bella is frightened of anything that looks at her wrong. Of the two the lab is totally trustworthy but she was 8 when we first had chooks, Bella has been known to look interested if a chick panics for any reason but has never gone for one. You just need to be sensible from the start and not put temptation in their way, and I would say not to leave chook and dog alone....though saying that the chicks free range and the hens are only kept in a large area by a low wall where Bella sits to survey the estate. :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:04 »
LOVE the photos :D
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:56 »
I can trust 3 of my dogs with my chickens - 1 x newfoundland x, 1 newfoundland and 1 staffy x ebt x jrt (took a few months to get her to leave them) but my other newfoundland wants to chase them all the time (she has a disgusting habit of eating their poop so this is why she chases them to get more of it). This shows that you cant say which breeds will be better because my chicken chaser is the sister to one that isn't bothered, so it really comes down to the individual dogs temperament.
Staffies are softer than you think.

snow white

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:17 »
What lovely pictures!

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 15:51 »
Great feature and pics. I just dare not try this with my dogs. have two terriers and a lab. They have met the chooks through fencing and on leashes but thats it. The chooks can't be seen from the dogs area and it is all ok so long as no one leaves the gates open.
Sue in France :)

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 18:55 »
We have three dogs, three cats and three chickens. They all get along fine and in fact the chickens will treat the other animals as members of their flock.

Puppies are very excitable and keen to play with anything and everything. So if the dog arrives as a puppy, I'd keep them separated till the dog is able to take some kind of instruction. But dogs do learn very quickly. We took the same approach as Barley: first introductions with the dog on a lead, lots of nos and tugging on leads and insisting the chickens are mine, then shutting the chickens back in their compound after a few minutes, with the dogs eventually off the lead and chickens out for longer. Our chickens free range all day now and the dogs come and go at will. If anything, I'd say the dogs are more nervous of the chickens and will defer to them.

Lovely photos, by the way, Tosca and Barley.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 20:41 »
Thank you everyone, the piccys are fab; what beautiful dogs and chooks.
Neighbour suggested fostering to see how things go, so will read up on it and dog proof the house.
Bound to come back with more questions

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 10:58 »
Knocked out by your photos Tosca.  Looks like a little slice of heaven!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 15:45 »
It certainly is Nerdle, even though we seem to have brought the rain with us...and just found out our inflatable pool has been chomped by mice. We are mega busy and growing too much but dogs and us are very happy here.

And we all love the chooks!

evie2

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 16:59 »
We found Pip was interested but not too bothered, only the Sablepoots were smaller than him  :lol:  Mist just wanted to play with Pip, so she wasn't much bothered either  ::)  We often lost them and the grandson in the garden, usually finding them in the chicken coop along with a cat and a few nosey chickens :nowink:  Because they're farm bred border collies as they got older they would round up the chickens and rabbits but that was all.  The neighbours children however are a different story >:(  I think the advice everyone has given is spot on, good luck :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

debsiwood

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 06:12 »
hi I have 2 Labradors, Annabelle 16 months and Maggie 5 months. They have to be kept separate from the chickens ducks and turkeys as when they birds get scared they run and that fuels the chase within the dogs. I have to say though when the dogs accidently get out when the birds are out in the garden, Annabelle gives chase and when she catches one all she does is pin her down and lick it all over.
But this could seriously damage the bird as well as frighten the living day lights out of them due to the weight alone of Annabelle sitting on top of her.
its not good. I wish they were both like all the photos previously posted. not only is it amazing, it would be a lot easier if everyone got on as well as those dogs do with their girls.
Good luck  :)
Cheers
Debra ;)

xx
My hen killer dogs.

Started by orchardlady on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post December 19, 2010, 08:03
by Thrift
xx
chickens v dogs

Started by francais on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 21:16
by evie2
xx
Dogs and chucks

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 20:20
by themagicaltoad1
xx
my dogs are eating my eggs help!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 17:39
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.