Rampant raspberries

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Rampant raspberries
« on: March 27, 2012, 21:52 »
I planted blueberries a couple of Autumns ago and got a small crop last year. The plants are well established and seem happy.
Now I've discovered Polka raspberries coming up all round them from my raspberry patch nearby (probably because I made sure the blueberries were really well fertilised and watered last year.)
Question is...(and I know Trillium lets rasps grow through redcurrants from a recent post)...can I just let them get on with it and make sure they all have PLENTY of tlc, or should I pull out the rasps which could unseat my blueberries?
Quite like the idea of seeing what happens when nature does it's own thang! (And I'm lazy....) Would it be very detrimental????
Only prob I can see is picking......

Trillium

Re: Rampant raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11 »
The red currants are able to fend for themselves with deeper roots, but the blueberries aren't so tough because of their shallow roots. Raspberries also run shallow roots and will always be more vigorous than blueberries.

So, best advice is to clear the areas for blueberries and try to detour the raspberries in another direction or simply pull out the interlopers. Unless your soil is naturally acidic, which it doesn't sound like it is, raspberries will continue to overpower.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:32 »
My money would be on raspberries to swamp blueberries every time, especially as they are competing for the same top 12" or so of soil.

It should be possible to remove the rasp suckers which haven't come up through the blueberry roots, those that have and won't come out easily may have to be repeatedly cut down to the ground in the hope they eventually give up.

I used an 18" tall barrier of pond liner buried vertically in the soil to try to stop my rasps from taking over the world, although something like corrugated plastic sheet would have been easier to install (but not for curved shapes!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46 »
That's what surprised me. The blueberries were deliberately planted at the edge of a fir where the soil is pretty acidic. The rasps are coming up further into the shade of the tree too!
I'll have a go at teasing them out. They're healthy plants but I'm racking my (pea-size) brain where I've got space to put them.......

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:06 »
Might help if you use a sharp spade to slice through the roots of the established raspberries where you want them to stop (not too close to them, obviously) - this should make it easier to remove the suckered shoots and also possibly install a barrier there.

(I'd just bin the surplus plants if I had no room for them and no-one wanted them - mine produce plenty of new plants even within the confines of their own bed!)

Show them who's boss while you've still got the chance!  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 14:14 »
I don't think raspberries know that they don't care for acidic soil   ;) :D

xx
Rampant Raspberries!

Started by FrogPrince on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 12:15
by prakash_mib
xx
How to rein in rampant raspberries.

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 12:29
by JayG
xx
Rampant tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 16:24
by KalisDad
xx
Rampant Radishes!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2006, 08:23
by puravida

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.