Rampant tom's.

• 2 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Rampant tom's.
« on: September 03, 2021, 12:58 »
Good afternoon everyone,

does allowing your tomatoe plants to run rambant affect the crop of tomatoes? :blush:
Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Growster...

Re: Rampant tom's.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 14:33 »
Stopping the plants at around five or six trusses makes the crop 'finite', but occasionally, if I see a plant belting away, I let it go on a bit, maybe to seven trusses in case we have a decent autumn.

I guess the issue is to have enough plants to make what fruit you need/want, then have a bonus if they carry on well into the autumn, which they sometimes do.

This year, I've actually trimmed them all back to five or even four trusses, as the light was just not good enough for the crop we needed to ripen, but it's a risky call, especially when there is so much blight about...

But to answer your question, a chum lets hers go right up to November, as there will usually be a few toms spare, but there again, she has a huge greenhouse!

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: Rampant tom's.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 16:24 »
We've let ours go a bit this year and we have been eating tomatoes with breakfast, lunch and dinner. July, August and September has been so good here so the gamble has paid off, normally we have been hit by blight or botrytis by now but our tomotoes are still ripening in the greenhouse. I think we will also have a good amount for some green tomato chutney to see us over winter although I still have 2 jars of last years to eat :tongue2:
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

xx
Rampant Strawberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 15:38
by sclarke624
xx
Rampant raspberries

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 14:14
by Trillium
xx
rampant potatoes

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 18:01
by sandygreen
clip
Rampant Little Gems

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 22:19
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 38 queries.