Smoke Alarms

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Smoke Alarms
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:46 »
Why do the batteries always start to bleep at 5am.    I got out the steps, changed shoes into something more staple.    Took cover off, unplug battery and it still bleeped.    Put it all back together (frowns to self !)  Not wearing hearing aids of course !.   And guess what it was the other one in the sitting room, the one that detects gas fumes, different battery size.   Took batteries out, left them on side and went back to bed.
I am sure that one of you with a scientific leaning will tell me why this happens at night-time  :mad:
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

Re: Smoke Alarms
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57 »
Why do the batteries always start to bleep at 5am.    I got out the steps, changed shoes into something more staple.    Took cover off, unplug battery and it still bleeped.    Put it all back together (frowns to self !)  Not wearing hearing aids of course !.   And guess what it was the other one in the sitting room, the one that detects gas fumes, different battery size.   Took batteries out, left them on side and went back to bed.
I am sure that one of you with a scientific leaning will tell me why this happens at night-time  :mad:
Mrs Bouquet

The cold kills off your battery by reducing the power available to the reactant. Reagents are less reactive =less voltage available= peep, peep, peep in the wee small hours.
Which is why cold kills you car batteries during the winter, usually at night.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:07 »
Talking of smoke alarms, remember that most of them have an expiry date too. The detector in most smoke alarms has around a 10 year lifespan after which the entire alarm needs replacing.

If I remember correctly, certain groups of people or folks on certain benefits may ask for a free smoke alarm and I think you can even have it installed for you by a handsome fireman too! Certainly worth asking about (and the free alarm is nice too)!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40 »
Talking of smoke alarms, remember that most of them have an expiry date too. The detector in most smoke alarms has around a 10 year lifespan after which the entire alarm needs replacing.

If I remember correctly, certain groups of people or folks on certain benefits may ask for a free smoke alarm and I think you can even have it installed for you by a handsome fireman too! Certainly worth asking about (and the free alarm is nice too)!

Sour in Scotland so you can phone the SFRS and ask for a (free) Home fire safety visit and they'll check your fire alarm to see if it's viable or reliable and put a new one in. They were putting in a type of pancake (fire angel maybe) shaped ones that turned out to be dodgy and didn't last the 10 years. So they are replacing or putting in a "fire hawk" one.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:16 »

Are you saying I can have a free smoke alarm installed by a handsome man in uniform? Be still my beating heart!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 43 queries.