aaarrrggghhh - cater&*%pillers

• 21 Replies

Bombers

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "sclarke624"
thats a pic of a large cabbage white caterpillar, the small cabbage white caterpillar is a lime green.  So don't think they change brown are two different sorts of butterfly/caterpillar if you are with me.

No???
Like these?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Bombers

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 22:57 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
Quote from: "sclarke624"
thats a pic of a large cabbage white caterpillar, the small cabbage white caterpillar is a lime green.  So don't think they change brown are two different sorts of butterfly/caterpillar if you are with me.

No???
Like these?

Ohh.. you mean these!! :wink:

lincspoacher

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 23:52 »
the solution ive arrived at is this:

I built several wooden frames out of 2.3 metre pallets, using 2 inch x 3 inch timber as vertical corner posts, 18 inches high. I then cover them with orange debris netting, tied down into U staples with plastic cable ties,  hammered round the frame bottom boards every 8 inches. The frames are therefore 2.2 metres x 1.1 metres x 500 mm high.

I then bed the frame down on the ground, and sprinkle slugs pellets round.  

So far, after having several beds savaged by successive waves of rabbits, then pigeons, then butterflies, then slugs, this solution seems to work and has kept everything away from my spring cabbage, summer caulis and my bed of 96 turnips.

Ive now built a deluxe 3.3 x 1.2 x .6 metres prototype bed cover  with an optional clear plastic cover (to make a cloche), additional vertical and cross bracing at every 1 metre, and plastic handles for movinging it. The plastic has net vents  12inch by 12 inch at each end to keep air movement and stop it getting fungussy. The only thing i have spent money on is net and nails.

I will also make a bubble wrap cover for it, as i have experimented with sewing bubble wrap (not easy!) on the sewing machine.

I tried a green plastic net with a 3/4 mesh, and my brassicas got severely eaten until i saw a butterfly fold its wings back and climb thru.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 21:31 »
Thanks for the replies - I'm not the only one then? :)
I've got fleece, so will have to make some sort of fleece/frame i think like Lincspoachers' idea. being on a sloping site doesn't make it easy, so it will really need to be pushed into the ground to prevent the critters from crawling under it.
hey ho - you live & learn :(

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 22:20 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
Ohh.. you mean these!! :wink:

See i had a few of these on my tomatoes in my mini green house.  or at least i thought i did.  i was pretty sure i hadn't managed to pick them all off, so kept looking every day (so hard to spot!)  but then the other day found a couple of huge brown ones too (had been eating the actual fruit :x )

on googling  for pitcures, this person seems to have the same catepillar and says it went from green to brown - they don't know the species tho...
http://flowersandweeds.blogspot.com/2006/11/good-bad-and-ugly-brown-caterpillar.html

i just wondered if it was  small cabbage white and they changed from green to brown but mayben it was a different butterfly

Bombers

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 22:50 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
the solution ive arrived at is this:

I built several wooden frames out of 2.3 metre pallets, using 2 inch x 3 inch timber as vertical corner posts, 18 inches high. I then cover them with orange debris netting, tied down into U staples with plastic cable ties,  hammered round the frame bottom boards every 8 inches. The frames are therefore 2.2 metres x 1.1 metres x 500 mm high.

I then bed the frame down on the ground, and sprinkle slugs pellets round.  

So far, after having several beds savaged by successive waves of rabbits, then pigeons, then butterflies, then slugs, this solution seems to work and has kept everything away from my spring cabbage, summer caulis and my bed of 96 turnips.

Ive now built a deluxe 3.3 x 1.2 x .6 metres prototype bed cover  with an optional clear plastic cover (to make a cloche), additional vertical and cross bracing at every 1 metre, and plastic handles for movinging it. The plastic has net vents  12inch by 12 inch at each end to keep air movement and stop it getting fungussy. The only thing i have spent money on is net and nails.

I will also make a bubble wrap cover for it, as i have experimented with sewing bubble wrap (not easy!) on the sewing machine.

I tried a green plastic net with a 3/4 mesh, and my brassicas got severely eaten until i saw a butterfly fold its wings back and climb thru.

Pics would be good. :wink:

Bombers

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 22:52 »
Quote from: "jennyb"

i just wondered if it was  small cabbage white and they changed from green to brown but mayben it was a different butterfly

Yes I think it must be. :)

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 39 queries.