It's Stir Up Sunday

• 14 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
It's Stir Up Sunday
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:09 »
Is anyone else making puddings or cakes today?

Growster...

Re: It's Stir Up Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 12:22 »
I've just made a fish pie, as Mrs Growster is recovering from a nasty few days in Pembury!

(She's well on the mend now, but I don't mind sorting through the various packets in the pantry...)!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 14:30 »
Son in law makes our pudding, and yes, he is stirring it up today!!!!

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 18:36 »
I have always made them on Bonfire night! My youngest son (now 38) HATED fireworks and we started it then. Before that my mum always made them and I don't think she was aware of stir up Sunday....

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 18:39 »
Not that sort of pudding or cake here as there’s only me that eats the cake & hubby now prefers the orange & masala pudding I make the day of the evening the man in the red coat comes! But I did stir my mincemeat mixture & put it in jars today having made on  it Friday.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Debz

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:32 »
We stirred after dinner last night because my sister and her son were over too so they can get in on the act.  Pudding cooked in the slow cooker overnight and my kitchen smelled fabulous this morning.  I don't actually eat Christmas pudding but my mum and brother in law love it.  I like the traditions though and hopefully by doing them often enough, my kids will continue them.  Even if they don't make them as adults, they'll still have the memories of making them.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:22 »
Used to do it for years, cakes and puds and mincemeat.     Not now for only one of me.   But I do look for the best recommended by Good House Keeping, and go where they send me to buy a little one for me.   Actually, Iceland, always comes out top for these products.   But that is no excuse for the rest of you, so if you haven't, get mixing.  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 18:49 »
After years of protests that there's no-one else in the family that likes Christmas cakes/pudding I have given it a miss for the past few years. Shame really as I enjoyed making both.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 10:19 »
This Delia recipe is not a traditional cake, but if you want to make something, it is a winner with most people, including me as I am not a fan of marzipan or icing.  I'm not allowed to make one this year as OH says it is too tempting and he eats way too much of it  :lol:

You don't need the exact alcohols she specifies, but is does need a mix of the strong stuff and the fruity flavoured to the same volume.  I think it needs the bitters though.  Likewise the fruit.  Candied peel is not a favourite here, but so long as you make up the weight in something else it is fine. 

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/Christmas/Christmas-cakes-icings-and-toppings/creole-Christmas-cake

Christine

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:42 »
You'll certainly be in no sober state for church after that one New Shoot  :mellow:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 15:24 »
You'll certainly be in no sober state for church after that one New Shoot  :mellow:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh but it is good  :D  All that alcohol burns off in the oven, honest  ;) 

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 17:32 »
First time ever I've made Christmas cake.
Actually I made two on Wednesday because I was wandering around last Sunday going, I have something to do... what is it? Then I was delayed when I realised I needed to steep the fruit. Mary Berry's Christmas book says, Step 1), preheat oven. 2) Steep fruit for 3 days.
One for Christmas Day, one for Husband since he's the only one to eat it. The second is for him to test and see if it was nice as well as to cut into bits to give to Husband's parents and a couple of pensioner friends maybe. Now I need to figure out about icing it. I'm out of sherry to feed it. I know it's supposed to be brandy, but we don't fancy allergic reactions on the day, especially since we're hosting it.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:21 »
Talking of sherry, Weavers, it's the basic addition to 'Trifle in a hurry' here...

Our Joan J rasps are still producing, and after a quick foray among the fading leaves, the next step is really to find the sherry, to make sure that the 'immediate' requirement is to hand, as well as those Waitrose sponge cakes and a dollop of cream - maybe some Devon custard...

Its all plain sailing from then on, after just five minutes!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 11:23 »
I cheat with trifle as well nowadays.    Buy jam swiss roll to use at bottom instead of trifle sponges.   Thumb over sherry bottle and sprinkle (I don't drink)  Or I shall use a non-alco fruit punch.   Tin of mixed fruit in own juice, save cherries.    Add the jelly, when it is set,  custard out of a tin/packet/carton/    Pipe with cream swirls, add cherries and 100 and 1000's to decorate.   This is only if I am expecting visitors, which I am not, so shan't bother  :D  Probably buy an individual one in a yogurt type carton.     ::)  Mrs Bouquet

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 12:38 »
I have once made a trifle, a chocolate one so I wouldn't be compared to the MIL's fruit one. Super chocolatey swiss roll covered in cherries and berries Bon mamma jam, studded with bits of brownies covered in the jam, grated chocolate into the custard which I poured over the top, whipped cream  then grated chocolate. This lot doesn't eat the fruit so I did offer to get cherries in kirsch and put it in the bottom they voted for no thank you.

The bowl was just about licked clean-Eldest was one and had two settings, stubborn and smiling. They fought to get to the bowl and get in it. They had their hands in after the bits that spoons hadn't scraped clean. Then they licked their hands clean. I didn't get to try it, but I was told it was nice.

This year I'll just make or buy a chocolate gateau and make custard. I'm making a carrot cake yule log, Christmas pies, lebkucken and pumpkin pie-not traditional but a special request by everyone but youngest who just wants ice cream.

What other desert options are people offering up?

xx
busy preparing for fair on Sunday.

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 22:12
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 54 queries.