Geranium Cuttings

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Geranium Cuttings
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:26 »
I have one plant which is verigated.  It is acidic green with deep red running up the leaves.   As it ages the leaves change to all red.  The flowers are insignificant, but it is a pretty plant.   Whilst I have never had a problem with any other geraniums (I just stick the cuttings in flower pots)  these ones will not have it.
Is there a particular knack to this type, something I am missing, or just bad luck.   I do mean bedding plants !.
Any advice please.      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Geranium Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:09 »
I have a similar problem with a bedding type geranium, last year I took nearly 30 cuttings, used rooting powder, and only 5 struck. This year I'm experimenting with just 4 cuttings in a small pot and giving them some bottom heat on a radiator, jury is still out on that at moment, I'll share the results.

The stock plant that I cut down to take the cuttings from is thriving, covered in new shoots, and will make a nice plant again, perhaps that is the way to go with these types? 

G&R

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:40 »
Providing bottom heat doesn't seem to have made any difference, 3 of the cuttings have died. The remaining cutting looks healthy,  but still not rooted. Have moved it into some fresh mix, half potting compost half grit.

G&R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 14:58 »
Border geraniums or pelargoniums?

Pelargoniums need a really sandy/gritty soil, and develop a hard callous before roots start to develop, which can take 4-6 weeks in the warm.
Cuttings need to be about 4ins long and remove most of the leaves before potting them. Keep them barely damp as they will rot off easily, so don't cover them with polythene. They need to be somewhere warm, but not in strong sunshine either.

Border geraniums are easiest if you lift the whole plant and pull it apart into smaller portions, each with its own roots.

Not really relevant, but when I put some old pelargonium plants into slightly bigger pots this week, I found 5 seedlings growing in the pot, they had self seeded, thanks to me being a lazy gardener and not dead-heading them. :) Needless to say they now have their own pots ;)

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:05 »
You're right Mum, I'm talking about pelargoniums.  Interesting that they've self-seeded for you, I've never had that, but have found them easy to grow from bought seed.

G&R

xx
Geranium cuttings

Started by bobfalcon on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 22:25
by gobs
xx
geranium cuttings??

Started by starry on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 21:36
by Ice
xx
Geranium cuttings

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 17:47
by Ice
xx
Can I take a geranium cutting now?

Started by missmoneypenny on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2019, 10:39
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 41 queries.