Tomato watering trial

• 17 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Tomato watering trial
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:07 »
Quite agree Balders in this case anyway. Measuring statistical significance usually involves the Null hypothesis and
p-values which I won't go into as it's many years since I did them. Also important is the number of specimens/cases you use - the more the better - but I think the absolute minimum is 100 per each specimen trial (pot, grow-bag etc) where they all must be subjected to the exact same regime. Variables in this case are the plants themselves, as we all know how they can differ in germination times, growth and productivity but, more importantly, the growing medium must also be exactly the same for each trial. As was rightly said, soil conditions can vary even within a few feet which may or may not have been the case here, so that invalidates the soil test. The compost used in both the grow-bags and pots should have been thoroughly mixed before use then replaced in the pots or Grow-bags to eliminate any variations in content such as texture, feed distribution etc. The polytunnel should have had a fan to eliminate any mini-local variations in temperature. I doubt any of this was done so, in my view, I'd ignore the results.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53 »
it's just think it's an unreliable test.

Up to everyone to make up their own mind, perhaps do their own trial  :)

I didn't give the reasons why I said that .......................... but, I'm soo glad you agree with me  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 13:44 »
Thanks MOS - so glad you agree with me too! If I gave it more thought I could maybe think up more reasons but hey - it was a potty trial and not worth the effort! :lol:

xx
TOMATO WATERING QUESTION !

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:16
by Cazzy
xx
Watering tomato plants

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 10:19
by mashbintater
xx
Tomato watering in "grow pot" growbag question

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 12:41
by Nikkithefoot
xx
PEA TRIAL

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:50
by azubah

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.